Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ok guys Go!

Bowkills

Nw oh
That would open up a lot of bs. To many " oh I had pin drops that led to your place " excuses just to get on someone else's property. To many crooks that would ruin it for everyone else. Just my thoughts on it and I don't even own any acreage where this would be an issue. But even the small acreage I own I bought it with the intent that's it's mine and nobody else should be able to use it for any reason unless I say so or they pay my taxes , I'm sure many others feel that way as well.
I was thinking of pumping blood paint trail cases where a wild life officers would have a choice to persue or not type event based on blood not on a hunters word. This is far fetched but id be for it.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Don actually said on his podcast once that if ohio got rid of baiting he would pick it over Iowa. He wasnt neutral that day. Lol
I don't listen to him anymore his podcast became one big commercial for his products. He's on a big money grab now charging $10,000 to come do a land consult on your property. Lol I will figure it out myself. Lol
Uh, not sure how familiar he actually is with the Iowa deer herd. And we can shoot at least 2, landowners 3, and if party hunting as many tags as are in the party.
I don’t know the required score for Ohio Big Buck, but having at least his ‘8’ over 150 is pretty typical for any serious bowhunter out here, and not the outlier. But sure sounds like a good story!!! 😁

Reactions: Boarhead

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So you’re saying that people who’ve lived in ohio, worked and raised families there then moved out of state, would have to apply for a lottery and maybe get to hunt with family once every 3-5 years? What about non residents who’ve purchased lifetime licenses before they left?
Yeah, that’s a road that don’t need traveled!

Reactions: Big_Holla

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
So you’re saying that people who’ve lived in ohio, worked and raised families there then moved out of state, would have to apply for a lottery and maybe get to hunt with family once every 3-5 years? What about non residents who’ve purchased lifetime licenses before they left?
That is the law in Iowa. You leave, you enter the draw. There are a few loop holes with doe tags and the shotgun seasons. Otherwise get on the wait list like any other non-resident.

Henry III

Bath
Illinois has a non resident cap limit I believe.
Residents of New Mexico have to draw to hunt elk in their own state..
Non Resident land owners in Iowa have to draw as well.
I think otc tags are ruining the quality of deer hunting on public land.
Take a look at the quality of otc elk in Colorado.
I can see both sides of the coin and don’t have all the answers.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Illinois has a non resident cap limit I believe.
Residents of New Mexico have to draw to hunt elk in their own state..
Non Resident land owners in Iowa have to draw as well.
I think otc tags are ruining the quality of deer hunting on public land.
Take a look at the quality of otc elk in Colorado.
I can see both sides of the coin and don’t have all the answers.
Good point on non-resident Iowa land owners. You can own 10,000 acres of the best whitetail ground in Iowa, but if you do not meet the residency requirements, you need to wait and enter the draw. Once again, there are a few doe tag/party hunting loopholes you can get around for the shotgun seasons.
This is of course a controversial law and not well liked by non-resident landowners. But it is in pace for a reason - so those with money will have less desire to lock up a bunch of gtound to only archery hunt it every 3 to 6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

Walkercomp

Where to begin...available to kill/ trap of raccoons depending all season. Also I enjoy to drop corn for inventory of deer, but I would be ok to stop feeding after season starts. Also stop season week after muzzy! Thats it haha..dont want to be that guy but the birds of prey are getting really bad tooooo

Reactions: Bowhunter57
@jagermeister
I'm all for your suggestion! 💯 I've hunted geese for years, instead of ducks, due to the high speed identification process that often leads to a dead bird you didn't want to shoot. 🙄 At least allow for "1 Mulligan" per season. :sneaky:
@"J"
I like the idea of No Mechanicals, because it would force guys to tune their bows to get good broadhead flight. 👍 It would be a sore spot for a while, like steel shot was to waterfowlers, but the increased innovations with choke tube cured that issue. :cool: Probably the best thing that ever happened to shotguns.

I used to set out corn with molasses on it and fresh apples, but it wasn't the "deer magnet" I had hoped. Instead, it attracted a horde of varmints. :mad: No more, for me! 🚫 I'd rather pick the area based off of its' own merits.

No Closed Season for Racoons for a 3 year minimum!!! 💯 👍 :cool:

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
That is the law in Iowa. You leave, you enter the draw. There are a few loop holes with doe tags and the shotgun seasons. Otherwise get on the wait list like any other non-resident.
It’s been like that in Iowa for a long time…not sure people like @“J” or @Jackalope would like it if ohio went that direction. Don’t get me wrong…I like to kill BIG deer, but not at the cost of comradery. Adding a lottery would exclude former residents who look forward to hunting with family and friends every year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It’s been like that in Iowa for a long time…not sure people like @“J” or @Jackalope would like it if ohio went that direction. Don’t get me wrong…I like to kill BIG deer, but not at the cost of comradery. Adding a lottery would exclude former residents who look forward to hunting with family and friends every year.
Yeah, that would definitely suck! For me it’d be a serious inconvenience. For Joe it would outright suck. He bout tags for the boys for their future hunts together.