Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Once in a lifetime Cicada event

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Last hatch they had, we were fishing Berlin lake. Buddy said man those cicadas are annoying. I was like what cicadas? 😳😂
Never heard them 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Big_Holla

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
they have unearthed themselves at our house, this one is about 1.5 inches long
E211997B-582A-4B4D-9FDE-8D86853937E1_1_201_a.jpeg

our friends live about 10 miles south of us and they have tons of them.

1C2C47FC-EEA8-46C0-92D0-55C7D8E2AB5E.jpeg
AF3AB244-13C1-4878-A081-5D965266E349.jpeg

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
I still have some cicada patterns tied from the last emergence. And to be 100% honest, I got out a few times during that hatch (kid was just born), and the fish were not attacking the bugs like I thought they would/should. I caught one bass on a cicada fly. I saw hundreds and hundreds of the bugs on the river and ponds, and literally no fish attacking them. I was disappointed!
Fish don't want to eat ze bugs either.

Fun fact if you catch a cicada and throw it at someone, they fly straight for a good 20 yards or so

Reactions: giles

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I was kayaking the Youghiogheny river in PA
Many years ago during a hatch. I will always remember edding out behind a rock and flicking cicadas off with my paddle and watching the trout suck them down. Wishing I had a fishing pole instead of a paddle.🤣
Whitewater? You still paddle? I haven’t been on a river in 10 years but I’m going to get back in the boat and do the Yough one last time. I’m 58 so this may be the last time for any of that silly shit. 😁