Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OO2 2023 Ohio Buck

OO2

In the Uplands
Up in Ohio for the holidays and thought I’d sneak a gun hunt in for the bonus weekend

The only problem is that I wasn’t able to shoot my muzzy to verify zero due to local ranges not letting you shoot black powder.

Called up @Boarhead and he hooked me up with his trusty muzzy and sent me on my way.

Got set up in a spot I was 100% confident I’d see deer at with my history on the farm.

This buck chased a doe out into the field at 137 yards. I put the crosshairs in the money zone and sent it down range.

By the time the smoke cleared the field was empty. I went up the impact spot to check the damage.

No blood. No hair….you have got to be kidding me. I felt great about the shot. No trigger anticipation, and a solid rest. Fuck, how did I miss.

Backed out and called up Brock to do my due diligence. He was gracious enough to come up and help me search.

After searching the area I expected the deer to be dead for a while we flew to a new area. It didn’t take long and Brock found him.

Turns out I did put it right in the money zone and the buck just made it out of the field and I wasn’t able to find blood.

I have certainly spent a lot more time in the woods and not shot a buck in seasons past.

I went into this hunt with no laundry list of bucks in velvet from the summer. No real knowledge of what was in the area.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Back to the birds

20231217_112632(0).jpeg
Resized_20231217_112737.jpeg
Resized_20231217_112650.jpeg
20231217_112632.jpeg

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The H is you, the blue diamond is the deer? How long did it take to do all those grids?
No. The deer was located at about the farthest point south. The blue diamond is where an orgy was taking place. There were two nice bucks involved in that party and I marked them so we could look them over more closely. Cole’s buck was not involved in that party so we were pretty sure he was dead somewhere. It took 1 1/2 hours or so to find him. There were a lot of deer to look at before he and I were sure none of them was the deer he had shot.