Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Saddlepants Hunting log

saddlepants

central Ohio
SERIOUSLY? Im bangin my head against the wall here? Really? Can I BE that stupid? what a night...So I set the stage with my blind. its a 360 view with leafy3d all over it. there are three well placed large trees around it which gives me a great place to reposition and/or draw without being seen. So tonight I go out with full intentions of trying to draw in the buck I saw working the scrapes yesterday. I decided to wait either until i saw him or 4:30 (yesterday I saw him around 4). So at 4:27 I rattled a good one and at exactly 4:28 there he was. Wow. really? Ok so he comes over and walks the upper bank say 22 yards and never offers me a shot where there wasnt twigs. I almost started videoing him as he got further away but he turned sharper away. I grunted..didnt phase him. I wheezed at him he stopped dead and looked back. then he walked on, I wheezeed again with more matter of fact Im-gonna-kick-your-a$$ deflection. He stopped dead again and stared my direction. He then walked away...about ten acres or so to the corn field on the other side of the woods and dissapeard. So this whole time Im texting one of my teammates on here about it and I rattled again a two part short sequence and in minutes hes back all the way across and headed to cross the river. theres one of those trees there so I couldnt shoot at him when he stopped in the middle. Then he thought better and backed out. I thought he was behind the tree so I waited forever and peeked around looking for anything to tell me he was still there but the squirrel action later told me he was gone. Lit a cigarette and calmed my nereves. the only place he could have gone on that point without me seeing him was downstream along the bank. Im texting my teammate agian. I said...So what he might do then is cross the river downstream and circle around and sneak back through the corn to see wth is going on out here. Two hours later I hear the corn and I can tell by the sound its antlers. Bow up and ready cause whatever it is will be close when it exits the corn. DAMN, its him. Hes a good taller ten point, maybe eleven as he was in the river hes got somethin strang going on inside his main beams. So hes gonna take the same path as the last two bucks I shot or shot at. So when he is behind the tree...I draw...and wait..and peek...shit is he going to go down in the quarry? Thats strange..then he grazes. I have to let down. I can always draw again if he starts to move or looks away. Right?................As I'm letting my bow down...........i touch the trigger...end of story...he is gone out to 60 yds. Another brand new arrow and slick trick gone who knows where. Shot right in front of his nose I think. Didnt even knew what happened till I looked down and Chit - no arrow. Dang it. I grunted and wheezed at him and got him to stop and look twice but he said, nope. Im drowning in a beer now. This really is the last straw. I left early. I did manage to find my arrow and go home.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Look on the bright side... Some of us haven't even seen a deer that close too draw on rotflmao.... Keep at it you'll connect eventually...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Dang, nothing but heartbreak for you right now SP. Keep at it, that dude is gonna get stupid in a week or so, and you will get another chance. Don't give up!

saddlepants

central Ohio
Last three years have been stupid situtation right down to gettin sick over the side of my treestand with a buck bedded at 20yards. I just want a break, lol, please? And last year I didnt have anything to draw on at all so I know your pain. I have this weird jinx Me thinx.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I have this weird jinx Me thinx.

sounds like youre doin ok to me,Half the problem is getting set up in the right place, you got that one licked. You are getting more opportunities than some others on here, you just havent been able to come full circle yet.
If it was easy my grandma would do it. thats why the call it huntin and not killin.

saddlepants

central Ohio
duh no shit sherlock:smiley_arrogant: thats why I used the term STUPID to describe my self:rolleyes: And now to top it off I realized in my anger and frustration I left my scent wick hanging in the tree, open. It will be all dried up by the time I go back.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Time to get dressed. And go get bustd out by that doe behind my property.

C'mon SP! That is not the right attitude. Go get her so you can stuff the freezer and quit getting picked off by her. Talked to my buddy last night to see if he was hunting this morning. He said "No, the big boys aren't moving yet." Told him I didn't care. The girls are eating and moving. We both missed a huge doe last Friday. Me in morning, him in evening. Same doe. Distinctive characteristics on her. I would love to tag one this morning. good luck sista!

saddlepants

central Ohio
the boys are movin, dont care what they say. All the deer movin this morning were before first light for me. Made allot of noise they did but I didnt see anything.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Killed three birds with one stone. Going out this evening and wanted to drop apples back there but didnt wanna go wandering around so I knew one of my chores today was to empty the spreader. Well it happens to be hooked to the mower...Nice...I took it around the property and kept the blades on. Dropped my apples and in the process managed to chip chop and blow all the leaves off my walk back. Made hubby happy, didnt disrupt the deer prolly cause they are used to that stuff in the daytime, dropped my apples and cleared the way. :smiley_crocodile:

saddlepants

central Ohio
Snuck into my stand so carefully tonight. Didnt spook up even a squirrel - even snuck up on my horse and scred her to death, lol. Sat for four hours and half of that in the rain. Didnt see nor hear a damn thing, Oh well.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Decisions decisions. So do I take my reading material for school and go hunt the blind where I screwed up day before yesterday, replenish the apples and retrieve my scent wick and do nothing crazy rash like scent or decoy or rattle OR do I go back in my stand tonight and let the other place rest another day. I saw NADA from my stand both sits yesterday. I cant do homework in the TS but I don't wanna dry out my blind either. But I can do homework in the blind and hope something comes to the apples but I don't wanna push that buck again yet. what do I do?? what do i do??

saddlepants

central Ohio
ok but dont you think its smart to just smoke up good and just sit quiet...see if I at least see him again without bugging him? unless of course that is he comes into a good shooting lane lol

saddlepants

central Ohio
All I saw was HIM Man! He was back there workin his scrapes an branches. Watched him with my binos for a long time, yup, thats him alright. Im going to break down and go to him. Theres no place back there good enough to hide so Im breaking down and getting out the trusty crossbow tomorrow and make sure its all sighted in. Im gonna get across that creek with the trash bag idea and hunker down in my Ghillie in whatever I can find...Its SOOoo open back there once your there Its the only way I figure I can get close after what I did to him the other night. I dont think he will come out there in the open during daylight now but he is following a nice line and I know exactly where it is and its well inside the property lines. I dont like switching to the CB but I dont have allot of choices here but go into sniper mode and choose what will work best for sittin on the ground in the weeds. Of course that would be my shotgun but....Need to get him before the rut makes him go off pattern am I right? Ill get better with my new bow in time but hankerin for another shot at this buck.:smiley_chinrub: