Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Steve's 2017 Trapping Thread

As a side note, several days ago I put out several scent posts without traps on the gas line I am snaring. Read an article about creating a "scrape" for coyote. I just stuck several sticks in the ground and put some coyote gland lure and urine on the posts and set the snares on the runs. Activity definitely picked up.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
As a side note, several days ago I put out several scent posts without traps on the gas line I am snaring. Read an article about creating a "scrape" for coyote. I just stuck several sticks in the ground and put some coyote gland lure and urine on the posts and set the snares on the runs. Activity definitely picked up.
That's a hell of a tactic.

IMG_0079[1].jpgIMG_0078[1].jpgIMG_0080[1].jpg

Nailed 4 today out near Hebron. 1 female and 3 males. 3 within 100 yards of each other and another about 200 yards away. I haven't had anything set in a couple of weeks due to working weekends. I finally got a weekend off, so I set some at Marysville on Friday and Hebron on Saturday. I figured with colder weather and breeding season in full swing now would be a good time.

Needless to say I was quite surprised when I got to my first snare and had a dog. I checked 9 more and came up empty then walked down over the hill. I could see one of my sets as soon as I started down the woodline and knew I had another. you can actually see the set location in the 2nd picture. I had the snare directly behind the sewer manhole cover in the weeds next to the fencerow. I had several sets along the woodline as I headed toward this one and low and behold I had two more!

The female was the smallest dog and I had her hip caught. She was jumping and howling as I approached her. My guess is that she was either in heat or was howling last night which brought them in to her. I have also mentioned before, I put scent posts with Coyote Gland "Death" lure and coyote urine along the edges of the fields where I have my sets. I don't know for sure if it brings them in to the area, but I can assure you it certainly isn't making them shy away.