Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 9

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Good luck tomorrow Rutin.

No arrows launched today. Saw a few deer, a groundhog, squirrels. Passed an easy 15 yard shot at a small doe waiting for a big one and will be back at it in the morning. Good luck anyone else that's going out.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Congrats again Joel!

I saw a small doe on Saturday morning and passed on a six pointer at 12 yds on Saturday evening.

Didn't hunt sunday, ill be back out this weekend.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Congrats Joel!

I saw 4 bucks and 3 does on the evening of the 28th. One was a mid 30's 8pt but he was 250 yards away. Every other deer I could have shot.

Got access to a new spot that I can actually get in for a morning hunt without blowing everything out. Saw 5 bucks and 2 does, had a VERY nice 3 yr old that was 120-125 walk right under me that was a 6x4. He has a ton of potential if he can make it another year or two. Could have shot him a 100x from 5' to 40 yards. Just not what I'm looking for right now, I know of a lot bigger deer and a lot of them to settle for something that wouldn't make me happy. Going to try and get back out Tuesday evening and close in on the mid 30's deer I saw at 250 to get a better look at him. I say mid 30's conservative, so if he's 40 or higher I'm whacking him and calling it a year!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Thanks guys and good luck to whoever makes it out this week. With a doe for the freezer I'm going to take my time and probably won't go out this week. Maybe Saturday or Sunday if it cools off like it's supposed to.

Still need to find a spot for a stand where I think I can spot my buck. I plan on focusing on him for awhile now. The couple days I hunted I saw tons of doe from the ground blind so thinking/hoping it will be a good spot when the rut starts.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Going out tomorrow morning. Haven't seen a buck yet but it's going to be chilly tomorrow. Wind won't be perfect but close enough to try it out.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Went out this morning, got in my stand late (10 mins after shooting light). Saw 3 does and a song dog. Checked a camera 20 yards from my stand over a mock scrape I hung 4 days ago since this is a brand new farm and realized there was a shooter in front of my stand 15 mins before I got there during shooting light. Had another nice P&Y 10pt in daylight two days before standing right in front of my stand.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Went out this morning, got in my stand late (10 mins after shooting light). Saw 3 does and a song dog. Checked a camera 20 yards from my stand over a mock scrape I hung 4 days ago since this is a brand new farm and realized there was a shooter in front of my stand 15 mins before I got there during shooting light. Had another nice P&Y 10pt in daylight two days before standing right in front of my stand.

That'll mess with your head.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio

That sounds good! Sorry you missed him but that sounds real promising. Been hunting mainly just the last couple hours of the day in the blind and a couple 2-3 hour morning sits on the ground at the other property and have not seen a buck yet. They are around and I'm not worried but sure would like to see one. I will be at it tomorrow evening and trying to get a stand hung at the other property in the next week or so.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Took a doe last night. Add five for team 9

Congrats!! I am going out this morning.. Kinda weery about going with this moon as bright as it is but, might as well try.. plus I have to reclear one of my trails to a stand. The farmer had to fix some fencing and he pushed a ton of brush on my trail in..

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Going to have to take some time off from the ground blind. Last couple sits I didn't see anything other than single deer right before or right after shooting light. Checked the cam after this morning out of curiosity and I think the deer got me figured out. No more day time photos. Some right before and right after shooting light but not one during the day since I shot that doe out of there. I think if I back out for a week and then they cut these hundreds of acres of tall corn I will be seeing deer again. Right now I think they are just detouring the area when it's daylight.

Since it's cloudy and rainy and I blew my cover there I'm going out to hang a stand at the other property and dump a bag of corn with a camera over it. No intentions of shooting a deer until a nice buck comes along so I'm good but it kinda sucks the deer switched over to night time for now at the blind. Oh well!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I've been noticing the same, but I don't think it's bc they have me figured out. I think its the moon phase honestly. I spent the day hanging stands and trimming lanes for new stands in the rain so they are scent free. Hanging a couple new cameras Thursday to pattern a 4 yr old I'd like to kill. Saw a 140" 8pt this morning 200 yards from my driveway so I need to start moving cameras around the house. Need some dry days so they'll take this damn corn off some more!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I've been noticing the same, but I don't think it's bc they have me figured out. I think its the moon phase honestly. I spent the day hanging stands and trimming lanes for new stands in the rain so they are scent free. Hanging a couple new cameras Thursday to pattern a 4 yr old I'd like to kill. Saw a 140" 8pt this morning 200 yards from my driveway so I need to start moving cameras around the house. Need some dry days so they'll take this damn corn off some more!

Hmm maybe that's what's happening here. I pictured them all talking about the doe that got shot "DON'T GO NEAR THE TENT THING!!" haha

I've been pretty careful and don't think I've been busted yet but they switched from lots of daytime activity to almost 100% night time. Backing out a few days can't hurt though I guess.

I got a stand hung that I am excited to hunt. 40 yards in front of it is a bean field, oak trees close by, thick pines and should get plenty of chances for the right wind. Nice easy access in and out and tons of deer sign. I don't know what's in there yet as far as deer but I will check the camera here in a week or so and expect to see some big ones. Can't wait for this corn to get cut and the leaves to fall!