Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

the dreaded rotator cuff surgery.....

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
While doing therapy for my fall ... shoulder, back and neck... I watched some guys recovering from Rotator cuff surgery. You have a long road ahead. After a couple months they were to where I started. Not something I would want to go through. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. My dad had the same surgery a few years back from a cow throwing him down. He had an excellent recovery and is basically back to 100% I'm excited about getting it fixed it has greatly impacted my day to day.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I had both of mine done back to back about 5 years ago. It was a pain to do but worth it. I still have not gone back to a compound, just not worth it to me to tear them up again but I am close to twice your age. lol Like Red said if you don't have a comfortable recliner get one, you will want to sleep in it for at least a few weeks.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
good luck i know a few people thats had it done this year, all heeled up good except my cousin he went back to bowling after he was released and messed it up worse within a few months of being released. my wife had it done at 17 when she was palying softball and never has had any problems again.

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
Good luck! I'm a few years out from mine - almost pain free and stronger than before the surgery, but it did take a while to get there. First year was pretty bad, but I had more than 20 years on you so be optimistic for a faster recovery. As others have said, do the therapy!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Therapy is the key. You can have the best ortho do the surgery but have a bad OT/PT therapist and screw it all up in a heartbeat. Do the homework on therapy places just like you did with the ortho. Make sure to get somebody that specializes in arms and shoulders. Getting a person that deals with hips or legs and you might be in trouble. Like Red and Tucky said, find a good recliner.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I had mine done just after Christmas in 2014. I'm now a little over a year since surgery and feel pretty good. I still have some scar tissue issues but that's it. I was throwing batting practice by late July and started shooting my compound in August. It's probably all been said but here's my few pointers. When you get home from surgery take your pain pills. Don't get behind with the pain or you'll regret it. I've had back surgery and knee surgery but the shoulder surgery was by far the most painful. Be prepared to not sleep in bed for a while. I was in my recliner for almost a month. Make sure to do exactly what they tell you and do the exercises the therapist give you. That was huge in my recovery. When you have a good day don't try and do more than tell you. This is not a surgery you want to have redone. It's a slow first few months but don't get frustrated. Also, make sure to have shirts that button down the front. You wont want to pull anything on over your head. That's all I can think of for now. Good luck.

steveOh

Dayton Area
All great advice here...recliner...therapy.....pain killers etc. Had mine done and it took a full year to get back to "normal". It is better than my "good" shoulder now. I hunted with a camera during the bow season while recovering. Good luck, wish you well.

Ricer2231

I didn't have mine done but my daughter did. Best advice... Do as the doctor tells you and rehab as hard as you can stand it. You will be back to better than before before you know it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well I lived through it. For whatever reason I come off the anesthesia with a massive erection. Not sure what happened in the o.r. but between the pain pump and meds I feel like a tab of butter sizzling in a hot pan......

As long as your ass don't hurt its all good!!!! lmao.... Glad it went well for ya....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Should have had the wife service you before I guess. I don't know. Thanks for sharing ALL the details. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heck she did before we left the house. I guess I'm just young. Your welcome for the details......j told me to post away lol. I will know more about my rectal status when the pain meds wear down some.
Oh yeah. I forgot. You said you were like 25 or something. Not that old, but there is a difference between 25 and 40. 25 means you need it twice a day. 40 means you can skip a day and not implode. Lol