Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Theboroblem with coyote dogs.....

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ray there seem to be alot of comments from guys that (from their comments) have never owned a hound and some from guys that have said they have that are just plain wrong. There's alot I don't know but there's a little I do. Dogs are not all the same in how they act or are trained. A bird dog needs to follow constant commands whether voice or whistle or it gets out there and may flush with the hunter too far off. A hound casts off without command some are close/walk with hunters and some go till they strike. You can't call most "good" hounds off a hot track and you don't want to shock them if they're running what they are supposed to unless you want to ruin the hound. That's why e-collars are sucessful in breaking a dog from running junk and can be just as sucessful in ruining the dog if used to shock when running what their supposed to.
And that is what I meant was if they are chasing junk you zap them not the intended quarry .I pretty much think a lot of us are going to agree to disagree. The point being some of you just seem to think it is no big deal but to a landowner it is their right to bitch at you if they want and that doesn't make them a baby as it may be a big deal to them. I'm done with this thread have fun.

Kaiser878

ohio
Ok.....I got.one for you guys..... not directed at you boarhead because u said u were done...but you may respond if u choose, I would like of you did. Since you are a snaring expert in my eyes

Say a fella is snaring for coyotes on his property. A group of guys with championship coon dogs begin to tresspass. One of the coon dogs goes through a snare and gets hung up and suffocates? Who's to blame.now?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ok.....I got.one for you guys..... not directed at you boarhead because u said u were done...but you may respond if u choose, I would like of you did. Since you are a snaring expert in my eyes

Say a fella is snaring for coyotes on his property. A group of guys with championship coon dogs begin to tresspass. One of the coon dogs goes through a snare and gets hung up and suffocates? Who's to blame.now?

With a legally set snare I would say "tough shit" and a good lesson learned.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I don't care what you do to the hound as long as it stays on property you have permission on. How is it the LO's problem you can't control what you own?

If it has a chance to ruin your dog hunting a certain spot to keep him where he is allowed to be you need to find a new spot that you can give it enough Lee-way.

All these "exceptions" people are looking for to justify them allowing the wrong thing to happen have simple solutions. Hunt where you can that doesn't interfere with others and the wishes for their land. If you can't handle that responsibility then prepare for said consequences.

This is the last I will add to the conversation.

Kaiser878

ohio
I don't care what you do to the hound as long as it stays on property you have permission on. How is it the LO's problem you can't control what you own?

If it has a chance to ruin your dog hunting a certain spot to keep him where he is allowed to be you need to find a new spot that you can give it enough Lee-way.

All these "exceptions" people are looking for to justify them allowing the wrong thing to happen have simple solutions. Hunt where you can that doesn't interfere with others and the wishes for their land. If you can't handle that responsibility then prepare for said consequences.

This is the last I will add to the conversation.

This was the wording I was looking for.....well said.....as far as I'm concerned that's the black and white....there really should.be no gray area

Redvette

NW Ohio
I will also say the we'll agree to disagree and drop off. I agree it's you're land and you have the absolute right to say who is allowed on it. I'm only asking that you consider what you're being point blank certain about is impossible to do. A responsible hound owner will try to hunt his dogs where he has permission but there are time when s#@% happens from an area you do have permission to drop on.As an analogy this is exactly the same as shooting that trophy Boone and Crockett 12PT and it runs and dies on property you don't have permission on and I as a landowner say the deer is now mine you should have controlled the deer and only be hunting where there is no possibility of it making it to land where you don't have permission. If you don't agree it's probably because it's your ox that's now being gored. Take care!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I will also say the we'll agree to disagree and drop off. I agree it's you're land and you have the absolute right to say who is allowed on it. I'm only asking that you consider what you're being point blank certain about is impossible to do. A responsible hound owner will try to hunt his dogs where he has permission but there are time when s#@% happens from an area you do have permission to drop on.As an analogy this is exactly the same as shooting that trophy Boone and Crockett 12PT and it runs and dies on property you don't have permission on and I as a landowner say the deer is now mine you should have controlled the deer and only be hunting where there is no possibility of it making it to land where you don't have permission. If you don't agree it's probably because it's your ox that's now being gored. Take care!

I had this happen to me once. I shot a nice buck and left the property I hunted on. The neighbor refused us permission to follow it. But all ended well as the property owner ate my buck.
But different than a hound man letting his hounds run where they want. I also had this hound problem when I bought the farm 23 yrs. ago. These hound rabbit guys told me they hunted the farm for 20 yrs. and would continue to do so. I explained to them they wouldn't be hound guys with no live dogs. They believed me for awhile. Then they would set on the neighbors land and let their dogs run on my land.
I caught the 2 dogs and held them for a hour. Then told them next time no live dogs. They went away.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a hound. I have property. I have an opinion. Just like if my boxer leaves our yard (which has an invisible fence) and gets hit by a car, if my hound is shot or run over being somewhere I didn't control it. . . .I will shed a tear.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
In a perfect world perfect dogs would not cross property lines that we don't have permission on.... Haven't found that world yet that's why I run collars and am not scared too use them if my beagles don't mind what I expect them too listen too.... Luckily I've had pretty good luck with the handling of my rabbit dogs over the years as I haven't used a leash on them while afield in years.... Always have it with me just no need too use it as they listen too commands which if your hounds don't listen and you don't use ecollars you're an irresponsible dog handler and what ever the outcome of your lack of responsibility is on you....

Should a guy be shooting at the dogs running rabbits coon or any other fair chase game IMHO hell no not the dogs fault it's the owners, and if you don't have the balls to confront them man too man then shooting the dogs makes you a friggin coward in my book.... Easy too shoot a defenseless hound versus whipping someone ass that needs it....

For the folks who condone shooting a dog for trespassing I hope too god you are never on the receiving of that action.... Been here done that and it'll fugg your day up pretty bad..... Just sayin....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sure can't. Most coon dogs are taught to strike, tree, and hold the tree at all cost. To include other dogs that might get aggressive. There have been times where I thought a dog was on a slick. Whipped him a little. Put him in the truck. Drive a half mile away am let him out on another bottom. Soon as he got out of the truck he took right back towards that damn slick. I hit that dog with the e collar three times before he went 400 yards. Did he stop. Nope. He went in there and treed on the same slick. Except this time his bonehead handler shined the trees around it. He had the meat, just the coon hopped branches to another tree. A whipping and three hard shocks wasn't enought to keep him from that tree. He knew that damn coon was there.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sure can't. Most coon dogs are taught to strike, tree, and hold the tree at all cost. To include other dogs that might get aggressive. There have been times where I thought a dog was on a slick. Whipped him a little. Put him in the truck. Drive a half mile away am let him out on another bottom. Soon as he got out of the truck he took right back towards that damn slick. I hit that dog with the e collar three times before he went 400 yards. Did he stop. Nope. He went in there and treed on the same slick. Except this time his bonehead handler shined the trees around it. He had the meat, just the coon hopped branches to another tree. A whipping and three hard shocks wasn't enought to keep him from that tree. He knew that damn coon was there.

No real experience on coon dogs Joe.... But my collars on 1&2 will actually stop them in their tracks and bring them back... Can't imagine a dog not responding too it.... I screwed up the first year I had them collars and had the settings wrong and had turned them on the 5 setting when I realized I was on the wrong set of collars and reset without lowering and hit them while they bit at the heals of a lone doe... They went head over heels and never left my side for the next hour... We finally called it quits when my son asked me if I'd ruined them... They were fine the next time out but for some reason if they came across a deer trail they'd totally ignore it.....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
We always used to break our guns down and go physically remove the dogs from the track(beagles), leash them and went to spot they would cause no issues. Breaking down the guns let landowners know our intentions were to not be there and we would be gone shortly. It actually got us permission on a few other spots because we put in the effort.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We always used to break our guns down and go physically remove the dogs from the track(beagles), leash them and went to spot they would cause no issues. Breaking down the guns let landowners know our intentions were to not be there and we would be gone shortly. It actually got us permission on a few other spots because we put in the effort.

That's how I was raised and introduced too the sport....

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I don't hunt my dogs, but I do know the law in Licking County for dogs running on my property. If they are just a "nuisance" then I have to complain to the owner and or dog warden.

If they are aggressive, either towards my family or my dogs, then I am allowed to shoot to kill. Aggression does include growling.

I've had both happen. Shot at a Rott that always went after my youngest daughter. Had another guy's male Weimaraner always coming around looking to hook up with one of my females. I explained to him that if his dog hooked up with one of my females, I would be charging him thousands for loss of income.

I wanted to shoot it, but the threat of going to court for loss of income worked.

I wouldn't shoot a dog for just being on my property, but it does get old when you are continuously running them off and complaints to the owners fall on deaf ears.

I had another male dog, friendly and sweet as all get out, always coming down to play with my females. I eventually leashed the dog to my porch and the owners got the message.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Should a guy be shooting at the dogs running rabbits coon or any other fair chase game IMHO hell no not the dogs fault it's the owners, and if you don't have the balls to confront them man too man then shooting the dogs makes you a friggin coward in my book.... Easy too shoot a defenseless hound versus whipping someone ass that needs it....

For the folks who condone shooting a dog for trespassing I hope too god you are never on the receiving of that action.... Been here done that and it'll fugg your day up pretty bad..... Just sayin....

J I am sure that you and others are the minority when it comes to handling dogs...heck look at this thread. I think I am speaking for most that are against letting your dogs run amuck...repeatedly.

Cross a property line, you retrieve. No harm, no foul. Heck I will help you retrieve. LET the dogs continue to do it, I confront you and it happens more. SSS. Actually even if a guy tries I will give a HUGE leeway for him. Problem is most intentionally let the dogs go on property they have no permission. The other half that is the problem aren't even hunting dogs but neglected yard dogs that get free.

I wish I could just beat their ass but me going to jail for assault, court costs, time spent dealing with it, having a family and two businesses too worry about....the dog and dog owner are not worth that. I shouldn't have to deal with it in the first place.

We allow coon hunters but they must start after dark and can't run any that are known for running deer (same guy has hunted us for at least 20 years, he gets rid of deer runners anyway) and never an issue with him. It is the guy that dumps a half mile over and his dogs run by me while hunting in the evening that is the problem.

Last edited:

yotehunter

spencerville oh

The dog owner they are trespassing.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
He's not yours, Kevin! Although they look almost exactly the same! A guy up the road by the name of Tim Priest.

His dog got one of my older females and I had to do a spay immediately. Since she needed fixed anyway, I let him off the hook but when we went over prices of a ruined litter, he finally seemed to get it.

I can't tell you the times I was tempted to shoot it, but only threw rocks at it instead. Of course, my aim is so bad, it would just stand there and look at me. hahahaha