Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Theboroblem with coyote dogs.....

Kaiser878

ohio
If someone shot my dog for just trespassing and i seen it happen i would beat the living shit out of him!!!!!

The way the law states not only would you go to jail for assault you would also get fined for your animal running loose.... Just the way the law is... Not saying I agree, just how it is

Redvette

NW Ohio
The "shooter" needs to remember the law also and he/she cannot shoot a dog for trespassing. Case in fact that Fred Moran well know national redbone coon hunter from western PA with top dogs nationally had his Grand NT Champion redbone Rocket shot by a lady that said she though it was a coyote. Problem with that was the dog was wearing an illuminated strobe collar. Long story short her insurance company wanted to settle for $30K and Fred had filed a civil suit for well north of $60K and refused the settlement. You can be liable for the value of the dog which in this case would include forecast stud fees, forecast puppy production and PCHA winning value and fair market value of the dog but no sentimental or companionship value. Last I heard she lost but I didn't hear the judgement.

Last edited:

oakswamper

around Toledo
And here again don't assume all coon hunters are trespassers. I have coonhunted with a hound since I was old enough to carry a light. And I can gaurentee I've never been where I didn't have permission. And as far as the dogs running deer. I won't own one. I ve seen several dogs put to rest because they ran deer and couldn't be broke off of them. I guess what I'm saying is don't assume all houndsmen are ass holes and tresspassers.

Very good post yote

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The "shooter" needs to remember the law also and he/she cannot shoot a dog for trespassing. Case in fact that Fred Moran well know national redbone coon hunter from western PA with top dogs nationally had his Grand NT Champion redbone Rocket shot by a lady that said she though it was a coyote. Problem with that was the dog was wearing an illuminated strobe collar. Long story short her insurance company wanted to settle for $30K and Fred had filed a civil suit for well north of $60K and refused the settlement. You can be liable for the value of the dog which in this case would include forecast stud fees, forecast puppy production and PCHA winning value and fair market value of the dog but no sentimental or companionship value. Last I heard she lost but I didn't hear the judgement.

People have no idea how much money is in some of these dogs. I've seen dogs with lifetime winnings and pup fees in the six figures.

About the good comment. It's just preference. I have always been a pleasure hunter never liking the competition hunting. They're all too much about money anymore and the slick handling just makes me mad. Around here where I'm at, if a dog has to go more than 150 yards before putting one up he's buffaloing you. Ain't no way if I throw a dog out down a creek line or along a fence line against a cornfield he needs to go more than that to tree. If he does he's skipping over coon. I don't want that sucker taking off a mile on a cold track. I've had my fill of leashing them back to the truck a mile back in the swamps. That dogs could have struck before then.

Funny story about people threatening to shoot dogs. One night my old coon hunting buddy and I threw Ben down this ditch and the bonehead doubled back and crosses the road striking on a tree in this fellas side yard. By the time we got over there the guy was already on the porch with a gun. My buddy asked if he could go grab that dog real quick and the guy was all pissed off saying he was going to shoot it. My buddy responded and told and a hold on a minute and let him throw this other counterfeit out there and he could shoot both of them. The guy kinda looked at him puzzled. And my buddy said but before you shoot them let me ask you a question. Have you ever seen a big white barn on fire? The guy looks over at his barn and told him to go get that damn dog. The guy was a well off dentist in town.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The way the law states not only would you go to jail for assault you would also get fined for your animal running loose.... Just the way the law is... Not saying I agree, just how it is

Ohio has a restitution law. You can shoot a dog or animal on your property provided you are willing to pay the value of the animal less damages it caused. If someone hauls off and shoot a Coondog he could be writing a check his ass can't cash. You're going to pay for not only the value of the dog but also the time and money invested in the dog, his probable predicted winnings, pup fees if it's a bitch, and stud fees if it's a male. On even a half assed dog from good blood we're talking more than the value of your truck. If it's a dog with night champ titles of which they're a dime a dozen going to pay for time and gas it took to take him to those hunts and get the titles. Right down to the food it's ate since birth. Those dogs are investments and shitty ones get culled quick. The restitution value of a dog can far exceed the value of buying it. For example, my buddy sold Ben last year for 9k. Dog was never competition hunted. But he was from a worlds line and even at 8 years old could have probably won any hunt you put him in. The guy who paid 9k for him will never hunt him. He's retired and a stud dog now. Twice we had people try to steal him in the woods. Once they even stole the wrong dog as Ben was in the truck and they took this bonehead dog off a tree before we could get to him. The next day we found the collars on the ground. Still makes me laugh they stole they counterfeit. I was about dome with him anyway. Lol.

As for the fine for the dog running loose state leash laws don't apply to actively working or hunting dogs.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The best thing about this whole thread are Jackalopes stories lol!!!!

Ive got a bunch of em. One night the dog chased a coon up the tv antenna tower of a small church parsonage. I ran out there to snag the dog and soon as I rounded the house the preacher was on the back porch watching. It's like 2 in the morning. I said "how are ya doing" he replied "oh ok" and then he went back inside. The good lord was watching out for me that night that I didn't get shot. If I wouldn't have known it was the preachers house I wouldn't have been so hasty.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
By far the funniest was one evening we were driving down the road and there was this live coon in the middle of the road. It was hurt but walking around. We stopped and as I was looking at it and this lady pulled up. She was in a Lexus SUV and asked what was up. I told her it must have got hit. She was like awwwww poor thing. She got all ready to roll saying she had a cat carrier back home and would go get it so we could haul it to the vet. I thought for a moment about letting her go get it and watching intently as this blond woman tried to shove a hurt coon in a cat carrier. But decided against it and told her I was just going to shoo it off the road so it doesn't get hit. She gave me some words about how good of a person I was etc. As I watched her drive off I was shaking my head. Her tail lights created the hill And I reached back and hit the latch on the dog box, grabbed this dog we were working with and flipped him out. Soon as he saw that coon it was on. Fur, coon and dog blood, and teeth flying everywhere. As i watched that dog work that coon over in a hell of a scrap I just laughed and said to myself. "A cat carrier".

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
What do you think happens when you have two walkers in the back of a ford pinto and you slam the hatch on one of their tails???.... A heck of a dog fight!!!... Also dog farts don't smell good...lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I got 3 kills with my 4 iron in the last month. One coon and 2 whistle pigs. Caught the coon in a dog proof and today while out checking snares I caught that groundhog eating beans and chased it down lol. The other whistle pig was eating my alfalfa in front of the trail cam so I whacked him. They are retarded when they first wake up from sleeping all winter.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392865753530.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392865753530.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 152
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392865771742.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392865771742.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hammers and golf clubs. Bad Ass! :smiley_clap: rotflmao

I won't judge. Some will though. Just saying. The anti hunters are gonna hate. If they don't like what they hear, I suppose we could recommend they take an afternoon to go golfing with Bigslam and talk about it?

ray12

My uncle had a few of his best coyote dogs shot a few years back ! Needless to say they went to court over it! The land owner told them to stay off! and they did but the dogs didnt ! The dogs had been running a coyote a few miles and came on this guys property where he shot 4 dogs! The guy got fined over 30,000 bucks!! Dogs cant read posted signs!

Just yesterday we hunted some rabbits in a area that I know and we have permission on the one farm and just over the hill theres a house with mabey a half acre of light woods and everytime that the dogs get on his property he gets mad and starts shooting ! Well the dogs ran a rabbit over and he started shooting at them ! I went over and then he got mad at me for tresspassing on his property! the guys just a real ass!