Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thermal Drones

at1010

*Supporting Member*
That guy is a click-baiting master. He's mastered the YouTube "shock value" click bait methodology, so I don't trust how this played out in the least.
I was thinking as his channel grew organically - he had to have hired a marketing firm that handles his social media. He has professional editing and the marketing/click bait is amazingly efficient.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’m chomping at the bit to get a drone but have no idea which brand/model to lean towards. I don’t want to get one and find out later that it’s junk.…especially after paying a good chunk of change. I have zero experience with them so if someone on here can tell me what they use and give a review, I would greatly appreciate it. I’d be using it in NJ and Upstate PA so you need not worry about me being competition for business, as I’ll only be using it for my own pleasure. Feel free to pm me.

Reactions: triple_duece

at1010

*Supporting Member*
He's learned the Roman Atwood, Dude Perfect, "OMG" YouTube algorithm and is using it to build his brand. I don't hate him for it, but I don't participate in the charade either.
As side note - I find that overtly fake promotional shit as a turn off. I never watch stuff if I feel it’s click bait driven. Eventually that has to be diluted in its effectiveness.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Amish Mike definitely knows how to make money. I wanted to talk to him last year before drones became a big deal and I think we was charging $250 for a half hour phone call! Pass. I don't blame him in a way, he's supporting his family how he can. I'm not a big you tube watcher so I cherry pick which videos he post to watch. I do think he's done a better job this year better portraying what it's actually like looking for people's deer with drones. Some seem to have given a false perception about it. The morons on FB claiming they find 100% of the deer they look for are fraud and its not good for anyone, same with the dog guys who claim the same thing. I like that he is posting videos now where they don't find them as well. Say what you will about him, he revolutionized an entire industry and deserves credit for that.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
IMG_9663.jpeg

Lundy

Brock,

This topic has been an interest of mine for the last year. I watched a bunch of recovery videos on line. I read through the entire thread but didn't see what model drone you are using. If you don't mind sharing I would appreciate it.

I am retired in Florida panhandle, bored, and looking for something to occupy my interests. There are also stretches of properties here and where I take customers hunting in South Texas that are many, many thousands of acres that are so think you just can't walk through them to track a deer. I found one for a customer last week in Texas by shear luck and there were so many thorns and stickers I left a better blood trail than the deer did.

Thanks

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Its real, but this particular video was made for click bait and attention getting. Those drones are 40k setups, the size of a pickup truck bed, and we're made for spraying agricultural fields. Lifting and transporting deer is not even close to a practical application of how they were meant to be used. I'm seeing so much unrealistic and false information about drones on social media these past 3 months, especially YouTube and Facebook now that more people are owning them. It didn't take long for hunters to do their best to ruin another good thing, which is an incredible, yet far from perfect tool, for deer recovery and wildlife management purposes. Nothing less and nothing more.

Last edited:

OO2

In the Uplands
Brock’s thermal drone is the real deal. Very thankful for the technology and its ability to locate a wounded / dead deer.

The ability to visually do a live check with no disturbance to cross deer off as the potentially wounded deer is fantastic.

I am a believer and very grateful for it!

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Brock’s thermal drone is the real deal. Very thankful for the technology and its ability to locate a wounded / dead deer.

The ability to visually do a live check with no disturbance to cross deer off as the potentially wounded deer is fantastic.

I am a believe and very grateful for it!
And it’s really exciting when you locate them isn’t it? lol
Congratulations again, Cole!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Do you wonder, with the quick popularity and sudden increased use of drones, if the ODNR and other states are going to be so fearful of abuse that they will go after them the next year or two?? Sure hope not but it's often the case when people see something new that they are unfamiliar with, to have that kind of knee jerk reaction.
I thought the consensus here was that the DNR wants all the deer killed. If so then why would they be fearful of abuse by drone, and what abuse are you talking about? The guys are using drones to locate wounded or dead deer. This is all a positive thing from the way I see it.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I don't think ODOW wants to or will ever try to ban them. What we will see next season likely is more clear and concise guidance on what can and can not be done with the drones as it relates to wildlife. Outside of that aspect, anything else will fall on FAA rules and regulations. DOW does not control airspace.

On another note, i keep reading ignorant comments on FB (imagine that) telling people to shoot drones down if they are over their property. You do not own the airspace over your land and it is a Federal offense to shoot down any type of aircraft including drones. DOW does not regulate this and I am sure they are glad that they don't. I'll be the first to admit I would not be happy seeing a drone flying over our family farm without permission, but as long as the drone operator is following all rules and is not harassing me in some way there is no legal action I can take. As far as proving harassment if they are flying over rural unoccupied land? Good luck and be ready for a legal battle that will probably cost more then it's worth.

Last edited: