Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail Cam Pic Forum

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Has anyone actually had an issue with posting a pic of a nice buck and then someone saw the pic and moved in on the deer and shot it? Do people know where you hunt? How do they know where the deer is unless you tell them. Do all the hunting shows on TV have an issue with people moving in on their properties? Everyone on this site has a username that isn't their own name and you don't have to put where you live or where you hunt so why is this such a big issue? Just some questions i thought of.
If you don’t turn off location services on your phone, when you take a pic and post it, someone can click on the info associated with the pic and it will tell them where your deer was killed. I don’t think you have to worry with sd cards in trail cams, but I’m not sure about cellular trail cams.

bonecollecter

Tuscarawas Co
So instead of trying to find a new way to post trail cam pics so people don't know where it was taken, cant we just make sure you turn your location off and don't tell people where you hunt. That seem a hell of a lot easier to me. I really enjoyed looking at everyone trail cam pics when everyone wasn't scared to post them but now its just pics of scrub bucks. I know a few people on this forum and what county they hunt and seen some pics of deer they shot but I have to idea where they hunt and im not sure how to find that out unless they tell me right? The only what would be if they hunted their own land and they told me their name so i could look it up through the county auditors office. So again if everyone is worried about outside people visiting this site and looking a trail cam pics how would they even know where to start looking for the location if there isn't a name or location posted.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
ive had it happen to me but not threw this site. my buddy was jackin his jaws at the local bow shop about a deer we had on camera. told the guys in there where abouts it was and one of them went out and killed it. i dont hold anything against him tho he went and got permisson and killed it fair and square might of had alot of luck involved but thats ok. now my buddy wonders why i dont show him much of anything anymore lol

bonecollecter

Tuscarawas Co
That's my point about posting pics on this site. You have a screen name, you don't have to say where the pic was taken you don't have to share any info that could lead to someone making any moves on your spot. No body know who you are or where you hunt so it should be a safe place to post pics unless you tell someone who you are and where you hunt.

Bonecollecter, Here is the issue as I see it. I will use myself as an example. Let's say I post a picture of a 200" buck that I have on trail camera. If someone goes back thru my posts and they may recognize pictures of my cabin or other pictures that I have posted if they live close. I have also posted on PA boards and some people know me personally on there and have used my first name. If someone wanted to do some digging, I am pretty sure they could find out who I am and where I live. They then could find out what properties that I own and probably figure out where the picture was taken. Even though they may not hunt my property, I border the WNF so they could easily hunt that. It isn't like I own a 1,000 acres.

Now this isn't an issue if I post an 100" 8 point because no one is probably going thru the trouble to find a buck like that, but if I ever got a true trail cam picture of a giant, I wouldn't see myself posting it. That being said it probably isn't an issue because I don't hunt Stark County, so I don't get pictures of 200" deer. LOL.

I am probably less likely to worry about next door neighbors seeing it because chances are if I am getting pics then so are they.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Bonecollecter, Here is the issue as I see it. I will use myself as an example. Let's say I post a picture of a 200" buck that I have on trail camera. If someone goes back thru my posts and they may recognize pictures of my cabin or other pictures that I have posted if they live close. I have also posted on PA boards and some people know me personally on there and have used my first name. If someone wanted to do some digging, I am pretty sure they could find out who I am and where I live. They then could find out what properties that I own and probably figure out where the picture was taken. Even though they may not hunt my property, I border the WNF so they could easily hunt that. It isn't like I own a 1,000 acres.

Now this isn't an issue if I post an 100" 8 point because no one is probably going thru the trouble to find a buck like that, but if I ever got a true trail cam picture of a giant, I wouldn't see myself posting it. That being said it probably isn't an issue because I don't hunt Stark County, so I don't get pictures of 200" deer. LOL.

I am probably less likely to worry about next door neighbors seeing it because chances are if I am getting pics then so are they.
That's why I never post pics, 200" bucks everywhere

Reactions: bigten05 and cspot

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's my point about posting pics on this site. You have a screen name, you don't have to say where the pic was taken you don't have to share any info that could lead to someone making any moves on your spot. No body know who you are or where you hunt so it should be a safe place to post pics unless you tell someone who you are and where you hunt.

I get what you're saying but its easier than you think. I'll delete this after you see it. I just want to give you an example of how easy it is. This all took me about 15 minutes as you only have about 167 posts. I didn't use any super admin powers here just info you posted.

I first went back and searched your posts for anything that would help me locate info on you.
Allen Stutzman was the taxidermist.
Would like $200 for it don't really want to ship it so pick up in the Dover/ New Philly area
My name is Ty
I'm out this morning but cows have pretty much messed my hunt up
Maybe if your spots arent producing we could team up and hunt this spot. I know your not to far from Strasburg.
Checking in. Hunting Tuscarawas county and maybe Champaign county

Allen Stutzman is your taxi
You hunt Tuscaraws county.
You're in the Dover / New Philly / Strasburg area
Your name is Ty.
And you hunt a property with cows.

From there I looked up people named Ty in that area.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

I get what you're saying but its easier than you think. I'll delete this after you see it. I just want to give you an example of how easy it is. This all took me about 15 minutes as you only have about 167 posts. I didn't use any super admin powers here just info you posted.

I first went back and searched your posts for anything that would help me locate info on you.
Allen Stutzman was the taxidermist.
Would like $200 for it don't really want to ship it so pick up in the Dover/ New Philly area
My name is Ty
I'm out this morning but cows have pretty much messed my hunt up
Maybe if your spots arent producing we could team up and hunt this spot. I know your not to far from Strasburg.
Checking in. Hunting Tuscarawas county and maybe Champaign county

Your name is Ty.

From there I looked up people named Ty in that area. I located a Ty Colucci on FB and compared a pic you posted here with the FB pic.

View attachment 61328View attachment 61331

A good match. You are also friends with Chad who likes the TOO FB page so that confirms the name.
View attachment 61329

Now that I have a name I found that you are a real-estate guy.

View attachment 61330

From here I could go deeper. A check of the county auditors page to see what property you own. Maybe you own the property you hunt. If not I can still swing by your house and figure out what vehicle you drive. If it was deer season I could spend a few weekend mornings parked around the corner waiting for you to go hunting and follow you. Sounds nuts but sitting around waiting for you is a lot quicker than sitting in a tree trying to find my own 180 inch deer to hunt.

I could stop by your taxi and snoop around. Hey man you know that deer Ty brought in, I think it might be the one I've seen on the place I hunt. Do you know where he killed that sucker?

Or send chad a PM. Hey Chad. You ever take TY up on his offer of teaming up on those turkeys. Where about was he hunting?

So if you had a 180 on camera would I be getting a little too close for comfort yet? It's a lot easier than you think to track it all down man.

Let me know when you see this and I'll delete it.
Haha I graduated high school with Ty colluci[emoji23]

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker

Your name is Ty.

From there I looked up people named Ty in that area.
9241E68D-8210-450C-A26B-A9A00D9F7ED3.jpeg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I see it Jackalope and that’s not me but I see what you mean. I guess there are some a holes that would do this but seems like a hell of a lot of work to me.

Well shit. It was a quick and dirty search but you see what I mean. We share far more information than we think online. Its a lot less work than someone finding their own property with a booner and hunting him. It's happened before, big H above shared an experience where he recognized a buck here that someone else posted. A less honest person may have tried to screw the other guy over. But at the end of the day no matter how likely it is, the end result is the same. There are quite a few people that get pics of very nice deer that have shared with me their hesitance to post them. The end result is nobody gets to see them. I'd like to find a way they will post them.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I'll offer again to post pics in an anonymous thread just so others can drool....
Heck, send them to my email so even I won't know your screen name through a PM (and that SNEAKY Joe can't use his CSI skill to creep you!!!) lol
pete.trishp@gmail.com is the email if there are any takers.
I'm heading back home to Ohio in the morning (niece's grad party) so probably wouldn't post any up till I get back Sunday night. As I'm not sure of my parents PC resources....

Reactions: bigten05

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll offer again to post pics in an anonymous thread just so others can drool....
Heck, send them to my email so even I won't know your screen name through a PM (and that SNEAKY Joe can't use his CSI skill to creep you!!!) lol
pete.trishp@gmail.com is the email if there are any takers.
I'm heading back home to Ohio in the morning (niece's grad party) so probably wouldn't post any up till I get back Sunday night. As I'm not sure of my parents PC resources....
Aww, how cute, you guys share email[emoji23][emoji23][emoji8]