Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What happened?

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gern you guys must have a lot of yotes in your area also do feel like I do that their are more or as many yotes as their are deer.
Do you see more yotes when driving them or deer?
Seems like in our area you can never catch enough of them.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Gern you guys must have a lot of yotes in your area also do feel like I do that their are more or as many yotes as their are deer.
Do you see more yotes when driving them or deer?
Seems like in our area you can never catch enough of them.

It seems that our kill numbers are pretty high, but most people don't realize the amount of ground that we cover just to find them. There are by no means a coyote in every mile section. I would say on average there is one every 10 square miles around here. They roam several miles in a given night, and some sections are better than others for holding coyotes based on the terrain. Some sections produce multiple coyotes every year, and some sections have no cover for a coyote to hide in, but they might travel through there at any given point on their way to somewhere else. We don't do much deer driving around here, so I don't generally see much coyote action or sightings until about the 3rd week of December when the crops are all off and it starts getting good and cold. There are coyotes, yes, but they are held in check every year by us. If we didn't hunt them as hard as we do, there is no doubt their numbers would be out of control. I guarantee in areas with a lot of cover and woods, there are more coyotes than you can imagine.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
It seems that our kill numbers are pretty high, but most people don't realize the amount of ground that we cover just to find them. There are by no means a coyote in every mile section. I would say on average there is one every 10 square miles around here. They roam several miles in a given night, and some sections are better than others for holding coyotes based on the terrain. Some sections produce multiple coyotes every year, and some sections have no cover for a coyote to hide in, but they might travel through there at any given point on their way to somewhere else. We don't do much deer driving around here, so I don't generally see much coyote action or sightings until about the 3rd week of December when the crops are all off and it starts getting good and cold. There are coyotes, yes, but they are held in check every year by us. If we didn't hunt them as hard as we do, there is no doubt their numbers would be out of control. I guarantee in areas with a lot of cover and woods, there are more coyotes than you can imagine.
Keep killing them buddy good job. Your right the bastards cover a lot of ground in a night. Keep after them.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I haven't kept up with my hunting with the hound thread but we have been killing a few here and there. I don't have the pics but we have killed 18 so far which is way down for us at this time of year. I haven't had a lot of time too hunt this year due too daughters basketball and work. That's the biggest reason I don't have pics because when I get a chance to go throwing my tablet to take pics with is the last thing I remember to throw in the truck. Our numbers seem to be down do to the lack of tracks and lack of sightings. the last three years we've killed over 90 in the areas we hunt so maybe we have them thinned out for a year or two.