Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's good TOO?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm going to consider this a cup-half-full situation even though the cup seems bone dry at the minute!

I've completed 7 of 10 courses for my masters and am in the final hour of #8, which is my capstone. I'm a procrastinator by nature. It's a character flaw, but also how I do my best work. Case in point, this capstone. We started January 7th and everything is due by 11:59P on Friday. We leave for Paint Creek tomorrow. As of Sunday morning at 8A, I had only completed my first draft of a 10-page Project Charter. So on Sunday, I spent two hours refining it to final form, then another 10 creating a 12-page (34 with appendices) Project Management Plan. Last night, another 5 hours writing a 5-page (single-spaced) Executive Report on my project. Today, I took the day off to write a 20-30 page "academic" paper on my project and I still have to create a 15-20 slide PowerPoint with voiceover to pitch my project. Son........

What's TOO good? I'm gonna power through it and enjoy the weekend with the boys after rolling over the 80% complete mark! I have two more back-to-back 7-week courses starting on Monday and if all goes well, I'll be done the first week of August. After 22 months, I'll be ready to shed myself of this and get my weekends back! I'll have spent close to 100 Sundays locked in my office grinding this baby out 🥴

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm going to consider this a cup-half-full situation even though the cup seems bone dry at the minute!

I've completed 7 of 10 courses for my masters and am in the final hour of #8, which is my capstone. I'm a procrastinator by nature. It's a character flaw, but also how I do my best work. Case in point, this capstone. We started January 7th and everything is due by 11:59P on Friday. We leave for Paint Creek tomorrow. As of Sunday morning at 8A, I had only completed my first draft of a 10-page Project Charter. So on Sunday, I spent two hours refining it to final form, then another 10 creating a 12-page (34 with appendices) Project Management Plan. Last night, another 5 hours writing a 5-page (single-spaced) Executive Report on my project. Today, I took the day off to write a 20-30 page "academic" paper on my project and I still have to create a 15-20 slide PowerPoint with voiceover to pitch my project. Son........

What's TOO good? I'm gonna power through it and enjoy the weekend with the boys after rolling over the 80% complete mark! I have two more back-to-back 7-week courses starting on Monday and if all goes well, I'll be done the first week of August. After 22 months, I'll be ready to shed myself of this and get my weekends back! I'll have spent close to 100 Sundays locked in my office grinding this baby out 🥴
Wow Jesse!!!! Great determination and fortitude getting all that done in such a short time period.
Enjoy celebrating and the time there at Paint Creek with the TOO family and yours.👍🏻👊🏻

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My home school district has been holding "Outdoor Ed" for over 40 years at our county's 4-H camp. I attended in '97 and it was the first time I'd ever used a turkey call of any kind. The guy who taught the class on turkey hunting (there was an NWTF rep there today also) gave me a mouth call that got me kicked out of English class the following week! 😂

The teacher in charge nowadays is someone I grew up a few years behind in school and her two daughters are friends with two of our daughters. She hit me up in the fall about teaching a class and I agreed to do a wild game cooking class, and today was the day.

I got home at 8P last night without a plan, but a few beers and hot shower helped me come up with a plan and it ultimately went really well. I fed them duck pastrami and venison summer sausage as appetizers while we cooked steak and straps a few different ways, and a snagged some South Dakota pheasants from our babysitter. I also let each group season up 5#s of jerky that I'll finish off and have the coordinator of everything deliver it to them at school next week. The duck pastrami is pretty spicy and I was blown away how popular it was. I ended up with 4 classes with 44 total 8th graders. It was really rewarding and the feedback was better than expected.

And I'll say this, in this woke era, all 44 of those kids (boys and girls) gives me hope for the future and reminds me why I still live in my hometown. Of the 44, 35 had eaten something they'd shot or caught and the other 9 were hoping to join their ranks. One young man wanted to take the class to learn "life skills". Overall, a solid day of giving back and representing our pursuits in a positive manner.

1000007976.jpg

1000007955.jpg

1000007961.jpg

1000007978.jpg

Last edited:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
My home school district has been holding "Outdoor Ed" for over 40 years at our county's 4-H camp. I attended in '97 and it was the first time I'd ever used a turkey call of any kind. The guy who taught the class on turkey hunting (there was an NWTF rep there today also) gave me a mouth call that got me kicked out of English class the following week! 😂

The teacher in charge nowadays is someone I grew up a few years behind in school and her two daughters are friends with two of our daughters. She hit me up in the fall about teaching a class and I agreed to do a wild game cooking class, and today was the day.

I got home at 8P last night without a plan, but a few beers and hot shower helped me come up with a plan and it ultimately went really well. I fed them duck pastrami and venison summer sausage as appetizers while we cooked steak and straps a few different ways, and a snagged some South Dakota pheasants from our babysitter. The duck pastrami is pretty spicy and I was blown away how popular it was. I ended up with 4 classes with 44 total 8th graders. It was really rewarding and the feedback was better than expected.

And I'll say this, in this woke era, all 44 of those kids (boys and girls) gives me hope for the future and reminds me why I still live in my hometown. Of the 44, 35 had eaten something they'd shot or caught and the other 9 were hoping to join their ranks. One young man wanted to take the class to learn "life skills". Overall, a solid day of giving back and representing our pursuits in a positive manner.

View attachment 194232

View attachment 194227

View attachment 194228

View attachment 194235
Awesome Jesse.

Most of you guys are aware that I belong to The Fairfield Optimist Club. We are a youth services club. We host soccer tournaments, sponsor local baseball groups, adopt less fortunate kids for Xmas, etc. Last week we hosted our annual Butler County MRDD fishing derby for local handicap kids. We had 250 kids, plus 250 seniors from the local HS to help those kids. It's a huge hit every year.

Last night we gave out $11,500.00 in college scholarships to 5 local seniors.