Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which Dutch Oven

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Does everyone use? I’ve looked at the lodge brand and for the money they seem like a value.

Kevin would have excellent experience and advice in this field but I haven’t seen much from him lately. His grub he provided at out TOO events were the bomb. Not sure what brand he used though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have all lodge brand and like them. No issues and they hold a season good.

I have vintage ones from lots of different brands. Alabama stove and range, Griswold, wagner, and wapak to name a few. The main difference between the old stuff and the current lodge pans are the old ones were milled after casting on the inside so they were smooth. You can do the same thing with a angled die grinder.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a Lodge 12qt. that I bought new. I started to buy a used one, but wanted to create an heirloom from scratch. I hope there are still meals being prepared in it long after I've departed this crazy world. :cool:

Reactions: Hoytmania

Buckmaster

Portage
I remember years ago Coonie was searching for the best cast iron option.

If one pan could do it all it was the Dutch Oven so that's what he ended up buying for his camping adventures.

Get the biggest one as you can always use if for storage of something.

I sold all my cast iron cookware when I moved to a glass top electric stove from gas.

Now I wish I would have kept at least my Dutch oven pot. I miss my cast iron griddle too. Guess its time for a garage sale or flea market so I can resume use in backyard cooking.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What the hell is wrong with you Ben? You actually sold perfectly good stuff? Who does that?

No shit! :ROFLMAO:

I use the dutch oven in the actual oven on occasion, although I did receive a porcelain coated cast iron 7qt. dutch oven for Christmas that has since replaced that for most applications.

Buckmaster

Portage
What the hell is wrong with you Ben? You actually sold perfectly good stuff? Who does that?

I did....my new stove says specifically "don't use cast iron pots and pans"....else I can crack the glass top.

I really don't want to find out the truth.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I prefer Griswolds but they are no longer made. I have 4 Lodges that I use for carering. They have been fine. I am not a fan of the new Lodge because they are all rough textured now. My old CI is smooth and so much easier to clean.

Someone buy me a Stargazer!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I prefer Griswolds but they are no longer made. I have 4 Lodges that I use for carering. They have been fine. I am not a fan of the new Lodge because they are all rough textured now. My old CI is smooth and so much easier to clean.

Someone buy me a Stargazer!

Well, hell if someone’s buying I’ll take one too!!!! 😂

Buckmaster

Portage
Appears Stargazer makes pans not Dutch ovens. I'd be interested in seeing the price on that one. The "Yeti" of pots and pans.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here I am ! It has been a while. Most of my iron is from " Camp Chef ". Being the cheap bastard I am, I never bought a Lodge & probably couldn't tell the difference anyhow. As Charles mentioned, Lodge isn't what it use to be & I wouldn't even wanna touch a new one. My wife has a few Asian skillets & I'm really happy with them. As long as what you have is seasoned well & appears to be well made, you'll be happy.