Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Your favorite grunt call

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My all time favorite and, in my opinion, best-sounding grunt call is the M.A.D. Buck Growl. I really like how realistic it sounds and the fact that its design allows you to get loud on it if need be, without the reed locking up or losing pitch.

Unfortunately I slipped while crossing the creek the other night and it fell out of my pack, not to be seen again. I’m not sure that call is even still available to buy but… Before I go looking for a replacement, let’s hear what y’all have to say about it. What’s your favorite grunt call? Has anyone used the Buck Growl and found a different call that you like better?

Reactions: finelyshedded

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
HS True Talker is the best grunt call ever made IMO. I've had the Primos, MAD, and Extinguisher and gave them all away. The True Talker sounds most like the deer noises I've heard in the woods of Appalachia.

Reactions: aholdren

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
HS True Talker is the best grunt call ever made IMO. I've had the Primos, MAD, and Extinguisher and gave them all away. The True Talker sounds most like the deer noises I've heard in the woods of Appalachia.

This!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I used to think this as well, before I bought the Buck Growl. I like the Tru Talker for its versatility. And the sound is pretty decent too. But, mine at least, doesn’t allow you to get loud at all. Any significant amount of air blown into the call causes the reed to lock up and the tone goes to shit.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have True Talker. I even bought a spare in case they ever quit making it. If you'd like more volume and a nice sound. . . This is what I've been carrying: Woodhaven Custom Calls. Pictured is the doe bleat (which I rarely carry but was a gift). Their buck call is fantastic.

PXL_20221103_024740792.jpg

Reactions: jagermeister

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Rod Benson Game Calls has been my go to for 20+ years. I truly don’t remember when I got it…possibly the 90s. It has brought in hundreds of bucks including my 178” and a 140” 8 that are on the wall. 3 others that Carissa killed and a couple for Tyler. Best purchase I ever made and nobody else has one.

Reactions: jagermeister

Creamer

Athens
@Creamer
Jeff, you have any input?

I'm partial to the ones I make because of the volume control I have on them. I add a small hole on the bell of a lot of mine that allow me to cover the large opening and make extremely soft grunts only allowing air/sound to come out of the smaller hole. You can see what I'm talking about on the doe grunt/bleat on the right here:

It's personal preference. I find myself needing to call to deer close a lot, trying to get them in stickbow range. I'm not sure I can make a call as loud as a Buck Roar, but I can make one carry good tone at really softer levels to make realistic calls to deer that are closer without scaring them with big volume.