Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017 Random Coyote thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
From the random shed thread and Jesse's 2016 "Coyote Killers" thread, this thread is being formed. Good ideas on both parties. Guys like me don't have enough success to have their own coyote kill thread.

I have been out 5 times. Friday night I had some verbal responses. Just barks. No visual confirmations. Could have been random neighborhood dogs. I doubt there were dogs out in the woods at 1am though. Tonight I began calling with 30min daylight left. Basically, right at sunset. First a cat. Next a deer. Followed by 7 more for a total of 8 deer. By now sun was gone. I could see thru the scope but nothing more than shadows to the naked eye. Even the shadows were not all animals. Had to look thru the scope and some of the "shadows" turned out to be nothing. Then I had a confirmed visual on a new animal in the field. It was indeed a coyote. It took off after the deer but they were gone before it could catch them. I quickly changed the caller to "kiss of death" which is essentially a lip squeak. It turned and ran parallel to the field edge. It was watching my decoy or looking toward the caller at least. I decided to squeeze off a shot since I was 100% positive it was a coyote at this point. Not sure if I hit it or not. It ran about 50yds to a property I cannot hunt and then turned to run towards me (on the other property while running up the property line). I lost track of it. Can't go look for it. It didn't run as fast as most of them when it is a clean miss. I can't confirm whether I truly hit it or not. How much effort can a guy put into looking for blood for a coyote he cannot recover?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You didn't try to stop him?

He was stopped. When he first came out he was along a field edge in the shadows. I wanted to verify with 100% certainty he was NOT another deer. I didn't want to turn my light on yet as I was afraid he would boogie. When he took off after the deer I was certain because he came out of the darker field edge. I swapped from "distressed chicken sound" to "kiss of death." He wasn't gaining on the deer and it caught his attention. He turned direction. By the time he stopped he was at 275yrd. Ish. I just walked it off. I'd give it a +/- of 25yds. I had adrenaline going. It was pretty dark. I failed to exercise patience. I "should" have tried to coax him back in closer. I opted for the 250-300yd shot with my AR held a few inches above his shoulder. Maybe I didn't need to. I possibly shot over his back. Like I said, adrenaline, darkness, 275yd shot off shooting sticks with a 223 round. . . .I should have exercised more patience. But yes. He was stopped.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm still not ruling out that I hit him. I just wasn't spending too much time looking for blood when I can't go track him on the next property. I did text the owner to let him know I got a good shot off on one but couldn't track him. He is not much on texts but replied "Let's hope he is toast!" That made me smile.

OO2

In the Uplands
You know if you shoot and miss one they reproduce faster as the ol wives tail goes!😂 Just kidding hope you put him down

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Skipped last night. Tried two sets an hour each this morning. Nothing. I suck at this.
If it were easy we wouldn't have any coyotes. That's why the damn things are so prevalent... They're evolutionary masterpieces. Keep trying though. Eventually it'll all come together.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got a message today from a property owner I hunt on. One of her friends had a coyote in her yard. Told her to give her friend my number and I'd see what I could do. She called. I showed up around 230pm to meet her and check out the property. When I pulled in there was a pair along a fence row about 100yds behind her barn. Out in the field but along the edge of the fence row. I called her and told her I was going to try to get a shot off. She said go for it. I snuck around her barn. Fired off a round and had one spin. It took off across the field and I got another shot off but missed. The other popped out in the field and I got a couple more rounds off but missed those as well. Hitting a coyote on a full sprint running away from you but darting a bit side to side with each shot fired is NOT an easy target. Would have taken a good bit of luck. No luck on my side today. Knowing I hit the first one was satisfying though. I did head back out this evening to try to call them back in. No dice. I figured it would be a long shot but I had to attempt to call to them. So one hit coyote that made it across the property line, and another missed. The land owner is going to try to find out who owns the ground behind her to attempt to get permission there also. That would help my odds as it is all fields and fence rows from the aerial maps. If I could get away from the house, barns, and road I think my odds would increase.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Got a message today from a property owner I hunt on. One of her friends had a coyote in her yard. Told her to give her friend my number and I'd see what I could do. She called. I showed up around 230pm to meet her and check out the property. When I pulled in there was a pair along a fence row about 100yds behind her barn. Out in the field but along the edge of the fence row. I called her and told her I was going to try to get a shot off. She said go for it. I snuck around her barn. Fired off a round and had one spin. It took off across the field and I got another shot off but missed. The other popped out in the field and I got a couple more rounds off but missed those as well. Hitting a coyote on a full sprint running away from you but darting a bit side to side with each shot fired is NOT an easy target. Would have taken a good bit of luck. No luck on my side today. Knowing I hit the first one was satisfying though. I did head back out this evening to try to call them back in. No dice. I figured it would be a long shot but I had to attempt to call to them. So one hit coyote that made it across the property line, and another missed. The land owner is going to try to find out who owns the ground behind her to attempt to get permission there also. That would help my odds as it is all fields and fence rows from the aerial maps. If I could get away from the house, barns, and road I think my odds would increase.

Good job Phil.... Knock them down buddy....