Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I live in the middle of the Appalachian plastic pellet mecca. Warehouses full of pellets around here and some innovative uses of recycled plastic. I have faith in good old fashioned American ingenuity. All is not lost.

Reactions: Mike and "J"

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
But how many of those products go to package items purchased from overseas in bulk. For example, honey is primarily imported in 50gal drums then placed in those bear containers here. The containers are made here but the actual consumable is made elsewhere. The packaging is one thing, actual household consumer product manufacturing is something different. We'll always be able to find boutique items like the Ariat jeans mentioned earlier but they can in no way replace demand of levis and other overseas manufacturers if there was a stoppage in the supply chain. Additionally even if the jeans are "made in America" there's no guarantee that the denim, buttons, zippers and thread is.

Reactions: giles

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Our airfreight budget is being stretched right now with suppliers coming back online. 7 days puts it in our component warehouse or in our DC, see my post earlier. Today's world is just too interconnected.

The guy that sits right behind me will return to work on Monday from spending a few days in Las Angeles. Da fuk am I gonna do about it lol? Take most companies and people that like to travel, containment is crazy hard to do I have to imagine

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Some of us have deployed numerous times. During those deployments, the crud as we called it would make the rounds. Small by comparison but you get the picture. Not everyone got the crud, but a lot did. Wash your hands a lot, and I mean a lot. Limit your exposure too other folks as much as you can, and eat healthy and don’t get yourself run down. Just common sense shit that we all know about.... Won’t stop it but slows it down and might lessen the number of cases...

Lucky

Sunbury
First African case was today, and some one in military quarantine, was accidentally realeased from a hoapital that is under the cdc control. One harvard law professor that teaches something about world health, says this has the possibility to affect 60 to 70 percent of population in a year. Getting hard not start thinking more this could be a serous crisis.. Needs to start subsiding real soon, and not the current situation. Hell the first county in US. declared state of emergency. Sandiego county declared it today.

Lucky

Sunbury
Hope this shit is more hype than it is. Not sure it us..im stuck for next week and half here in Chicago rite near OHare airpoint. Were staying at Hilton gareden inn. And working at the weston hotel rite down road. There is a healthy Asian community in this area. They were masks. Hate the fuckn city. Add one more thing to hate about it. Were supposed to go to California to work at another hotel in about month or so. We put the glass shower doors in high end hotels . This shit keeps up and I aint making that trip.

Reactions: giles and Mike

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Hope this shit is more hype than it is. Not sure it us..im stuck for next week and half here in Chicago rite near OHare airpoint. Were staying at Hilton gareden inn. And working at the weston hotel rite down road. There is a healthy Asian community in this area. They were masks. Hate the fuckn city. Add one more thing to hate about it. Were supposed to go to California to work at another hotel in about month or so. We put the glass shower doors in high end hotels . This shit keeps up and I aint making that trip.
Grew up in Elk Grove.

Reactions: Lucky

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The double talk that these "experts" say regarding face masks is hilarious. In one sentence they talk about how a surgical mask provides no protection and only an N95 mask protects against viruses. Then later they say that people shouldn't be hoarding surgical masks because it might cause a shortage for medical staff if they're eventually needed.

The below was told to airline staff.

Meanwhile, transport staff should not wear face masks but instead stick to good hygiene to avoid the risk of coronavirus, according to the guidance. It advises staff not to wear masks as “they do not provide protection from respiratory viruses”.

Then they say shit like this.

But if people are buying them just because they are afraid, experts are concerned. “Panic purchases of face masks in low-risk countries like the U.S. is not warranted. People who are well should refrain from hoarding masks ‘just in case’ they need it, as this may lead to a lack of masks in settings that really need it,” says Annelies Wilder-Smith of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

The reality is. ANYTHING that covers your face and nose will help reduce a risk of infection versus nothing being there at all. Additionally, it will act as a barrier if people accidentally touch their mouth and nose, which is by far the largest transmission method. Sure it's not some medical-grade N95 respirator specifically created for viruses, but it's something, and something is way better than nothing.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here's the reality. The standard medical surgical masks on the shelf at CVS has a PFE RESULT OF 98%

Screenshot_20200215-205546_Chrome.jpg

PFE (Particulate Filtration Efficiency): PFE measures how well a hospital mask filters sub-micron particles with the expectation that viruses will be filtered in a similar manner. The higher the percentage, the better the mask filtration. Although testing is available using a particle size from 0.1 to 5.0 microns, ASTM F2100-11 specifies that a particle size of 0.1 micron be used.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A new bombshell paper from the Beijing-sponsored South China University of Technology says that the Wuhan Center for Disease Control (WHCDC) could have spawned the contagion in Hubei province.

The report says: 'Genome sequences from patients were 96% or 89% identical to the Bat CoV ZC45 coronavirus originally found in Rhinolophus affinis (intermediate horseshoe bat).'

It describes how the only native bats are found around 600 miles away from the Wuhan seafood market and that the probability of bats flying from Yunnan and Zhejiang provinces was minimal.

In addition there is little to suggest the local populace eat the bats as evidenced by testimonies of 31 residents and 28 visitors.

Instead the authors point to research being carried out withing a few hundred yards at the WHCDC.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-originate-Chinese-government-laboratory.html

Reactions: Mike

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I'm not terribly worried about it from a US public health perspective. From what I've read its similar in infectivity to SARS/MERS with what looks like lower mortality. I think the biggest issue this is going to cause is with trade and supply chain problems.

I've read one paper from an Indian university that found three conserved sequences in the binding regions of the virus that are very similar to HIV. I've also read where HIV drugs have been somewhat effective in treating it. Its unlikely this virus spontaneously adopted these sequences so I'm in agreement that this is likely a bioengineered escapee. Note, the below is not peer reviewed and is the results of data analysis (BLASTn/BLASTp)

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1.full.pdf

As for the masks....well...they are good at containing water droplets, but a cough or sneeze will blow viruses and bacteria right through them or around them. Sure it's better than nothing...but that's like using saran wrap as a condom.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As for the masks....well...they are good at containing water droplets, but a cough or sneeze will blow viruses and bacteria right through them or around them. Sure it's better than nothing...but that's like using saran wrap as a condom.

If your already sick the only reason to wear one is to protect others. But even a N95 mask will have a containment escape around the edges if a person sneezes or coughs just due to pressure. A standard surgical mask from CVS has the below test results to protect you however.

Testing Standard: Bacterial filtration effectiveness Results: > 99%
Testing Standard: Particulate filtration effectivness Results: > (virus) 98%
Testing Standard: Fluid Resistance; : Passes at 80 mmHg (blood pressure spray).

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Absolute shit show

Hundreds of Americans who had been passengers on a coronavirus-stricken cruise ship in Japan landed in the U.S. on Monday, including 14 people who tested positive for the virus and were allowed to join the evacuation operation at the last minute.

The U.S. initially said no one with the virus would be allowed on the repatriation flights. But after people disembarked from the ship and were on their way to the airport, word arrived that 14 passengers in the group had tested positive, U.S. officials said.

Rather than turn them back, officials decided to seat the 14 in an isolated section apart from other plane passengers.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fourte...navirus-cruise-ship-test-positive-11581931972

So you get these people off a ship and bus them to the airport. But only the one who were not infected, the rest were made to stay in Japan. But on the way to the airport you find out 14 of them have the virus. So you just say fuck the plan let's load em up. What about the other Americans you left in Japan? What about the people on the bus who were exposed by not making sure everyone had negative results before even removing them from the ship. What a complete fuckup of a job. Just goes to show how unprepared our government is to handle a mass pandemic.