Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2TC Climbing Method

The "one stick" method, just isn't for me.
🙄
I gave it a shot, climbed several trees and rappelled out of them all. Love the rappelling idea!
👍

I've been looking at different climbing methods to be able to use the rappelling technique. Then I noticed the 2TC (two tether climbing) method and made my own modifications to suit me.
🤔

I'm still "tweeking" my set-up, as I started out using the double figure 8 knots on both tether lines, then switched to a quick link on the top tether line and may switch to one on the bottom too. The quick link is just quicker and easier to set up....and easier to pull down with the dyna-glide string. The Ropeman 1 and carabiners make the system adjustable to how much of a step to take and the diameter of the tree.
The loop for my boot was easier to get into and climb with than any boards or other flat steps/rungs that I tried.

Once I'm on my platform and am done hunting, that's when I'll switch over to my Figure 8, to make my rappel down.
💯
So far, I'm liking how light weight and simple it is to use.
😎
No climbing sticks! Any tree at any height!
TC6.jpg

TC5.jpg

TC4.jpg

TC3.jpg

TC2.jpg

TC1.jpg

I decided to go with a Quick Link on the bottom tether line too, to avoid using the figure eight knot and get hooked up to the tree quicker. I eliminated the rope on the bottom tether, as it's hard on the arch of my foot and went with a 2" strap. The strap is from a safety harness that I don't use. Also, I switched to Canyon Elite climbing rope, as the other rope that I was using was too stiff and twisted up easy. 👎
I added a smaller daypack, for my platform, limb saw, flashlight, hunting knife, etc. This dropped quite a bit of carry weight. I'm down to 14# with everything in the top photo. 💯
The bottom photo shows how it gets hooked up to climb. 😎
Cruzr XC 3.jpg

TC-1.jpg

Creamer

Athens
I hadn't seen this one before. I'll give it a shot and see how I like it. The two biggest hurdles, for me, with this and single-sticking, are 1) trees with lower limbs and 2) my habit of dropping crap. I need to stop dropping stuff, that's for sure, but it's an issue for me. I don't hunt all that high with a trad bow, but I do hunt a few trees that have lower limbs (or forked tree at the base) that could make these climbing methods tricky for me.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
I hadn't seen this one before. I'll give it a shot and see how I like it. The two biggest hurdles, for me, 2) my habit of dropping crap. I need to stop dropping stuff, that's for sure, but it's an issue for me.
It's worth a shot and very simple to use/try.
As for having the "dropsies", we've all been there. :rolleyes: I've had a "Booger" for over 25 years, hardly ever use it, but it certainly comes in handy when you do need it. They're about $20. I use my bow retriever for picking it up.
Booger 1.jpg

Booger 2.jpg

Booger 3.jpg

Reactions: Creamer