Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ada Ohio Deer/ Small game Hunting

drewh.02

Ada Ohio
Alright update: I went to the Ada Heritage Cooperative today and they said they didn't know of anyone who had come in that had land open. However the lady did say that she was going to talk to someone who knew more people about it as well. I might try the one in Kenton if I'm over there getting anything, if anyone hears anything let me know. I might also put an add out or put something in one of the fb groups in the area. Thank you all again for the help, sooner than later I'll be out knocking on doors.

drewh.02

Ada Ohio
Be sure to check out that public spot i mentioned. It holds lots of deer and ive never senn a treestand in it
I'll drive by it this weekend and maybe scout it out. It looks good and from what I saw theirs no drawings or anything that would prevent me from hunting there. I'll ask the family friend and let you know soon as well.

Bigcountry40

Welcome Drew,
I work about 20 minutes North, sort of a rough area to try and gain private access. If I were you I would not be concerned with your buddies and just focus on trying to find a spot for yourself. Most of the woods in that area are small, rectangular and are surrounded by agriculture. If you do gain access I wouldn't waste my time squirrel hunting early season you're going to have limited woods access in small parcels . If you really are interested in small game hunting wait until after late gun season, farmers will sometimes give you day permission to rabbit and squirrel hunt (a lot of farmers/hunters dont care after that). The surrounding area of Kenton is heavily hunted and has a rich a hunting culture it was home to the National Coon dog trials up until about 15 years ago. Good luck, I would definitely look at the public land that was mentioned, I got a buddy that is 50 years old and lives outside Kenton all his life ,he struggles finding a place to hunt every year, as his one spot becomes crowded. Also hedgerows/brush lines can be your best friend while the corn is up and the foliage is on the trees, you don't always need a woods to be successful.

drewh.02

Ada Ohio
Hello again everyone,

I have some news to report. I have gotten access to my regular plot back in Delaware, where there are some decent deer. I am hoping to kill a good buck this year, and plan on going home periodically to hunt it until winter semester begins. However, I am still looking around Ada, and am considering knocking on doors at this point. The idea of being able to hunt on weeknights after class just sounds too good to me. Any advice on how I should go about this? Thanks again,

Drew

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I need to find the thread with my brochure in it...

Be prepared not only for rejection, but to look people in the eye when you speak, sound confident, get to the point, have a plan, have your slips ready, and take copies of your ID/etc. so they can remember you and contact you if they do give you permission.

Many moons ago after I graduated OU, I moved to Kent to live with my now wife while she finished school. I stopped for permission on a big farm in Ravenna and the farmer says "sure, just put your name on that there list..." I walked over to a clipboard with a legal pad that was numbered 1-30 and I was going to be #26. I politely excused myself without putting my name on the list.