Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anchor Points....Creamer post

I've been under attack with "target panic" with my new ILF recurve and have been making some changes. After all I the things I changed, I was able to "erase" the target panic with a new anchor point. I will say this, traditional archery certainly has more mental demons to conquer than I care to admit. :rolleyes:
I use to anchor my index finger behind my K9 tooth, turn my head until my nose touched the string, put the tip of the arrow on the intended target and release. As simple as this process sounds, I acquired some anxiety while at full draw and anticipating the shot....all the while looking for the target (which was out of sight and below the tip of the arrow). 😵

At first, I just reverted back to canting the bow and instinctive and/or gap shooting. However, that tends to require shooting a silly amount of arrows to obtain good accuracy.....at least for me. :cautious:
Yesterday, I went back to string walking, but I used the new anchor point. I anchor my thumb knuckle behind my jaw bone, just under my ear lobe, tilt my head enough to lean my cheek bone against my tab. This allows me to align my eye with the arrow shaft, which gives me the ability to put the tip of my arrow on the intended target....all the while I have both eyes open. My right/dominant eye picks up the tip of the arrow and I make the shot from there. (y)💯 I'm a bit overwhelmed at how this has erased the target panic and given me back the accuracy that I started out with and, so far, out to 25 yards. :cool:

I'm glad I read your post @Creamer!!!
Thanks for your contribution and I hope your shooting is ever bit as good as you want. 💯(y):cool:

Reactions: Creamer