Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Backtension for hunting.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I finally bought a bakctension and I am excited to use it. My previous release broke and I wanted to at least get one to help form - I’ve read amazing reviews on this, coupled with blind bale.

Anyhow. Anyone hunting with one?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have and I'm not a fan. Only deer I shot with one, I shot in the back of the skull between it's ears. I was squeezing when he took a step and I tried to make the bow go off and made a bad shot as a result. I shoot my Stan Quattro with back tension technique, but I can still make it go off like a trigger release and it's still very accurate shooting that way. Back tensions are great for target and training, but it's not something I'll hunt with again.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Yea! I hear that. I just got mine and shot in back in wedding clothes before I head to this reception Hahahah (wife was laughing at me). My first notice is how bad my brain wants to “fire” the bow. I love how it really makes me focus on aiming and waiting. I believe that muscle memory will transfer nicely to a Scott trigger release. I’ll be hammering many shots via blind bale and back tension this month and up until season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Shoot with your eyes closed some from 5 steps or so. I've found that when I take the action of seeing the bubble and pin away, I can really focus on squeezing my shoulder blades together much better than I can while aiming.

Reactions: at1010

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Shoot with your eyes closed some from 5 steps or so. I've found that when I take the action of seeing the bubble and pin away, I can really focus on squeezing my shoulder blades together much better than I can while aiming.

Thanks- that’s blind bale right? I’ve done that for awhile and I really can’t wxpress how much that helps. If I do that before I shoot, I’ll shoot better every single time.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep. Blank bale (nothing to aim at) is also helpful, but blind bale can be done a couple ways. You can put black tape over your sight housing so you can't see the pins, or just shoot with your eyes closed. I like eyes closed because it takes all visual calculations out of your mind and frees you up to focus on squeezing.

Reactions: at1010
I have a scott backspin bt i really like. It is a training tool and a match release only for me. I will never hunt with one for the reasons jesse states. I hunt with a stan likes me too with an 8 pound spring. The heavier the spring on the thumb release the more it mimics a bt.

The biggest mistake i see people make using Thumb releases and wrist releases is shooting them like they have trigger on a rifle. Wrap your thumb all the way around the barrel of the trigger so the end of your thumb is touching your palm. If you shoot a wrist release shorten the bar so you can wrap your index finger around the trigger and touch the end of your finger to your palm. Now you can pull through the shot similar to a bt but have the ability wait at full draw with more control than a bt.

Blind bale and blank bale pracite is very helpful with developing muscle memory and good releases.

Last edited:

nis1

My wife has transitioned to a back tension release this summer and will be hunting with it this fall. She has show for 5 years or so and over the last 2 seasons has dealt with some pretty bad target panic.

With a couple lessons at the local archery shop and a quality release, her accuracy and consistency has come a very long way. The challenge has been tweaking the adjustment for when the release actually goes off. It took a while to get it set in the right spot where it wasn’t either taking too long to go off or would go off too quickly.

We have her squared away now and she’s ready to get in the woods. I will say that I’ve shot with her back tension release and it’s not for me. At least not right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk