Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bacon-Deer Burger Method and Tips

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Grinding meat is more than it sounds. I always cut the "silver" skin and tendons out. Any that even resembles it, goes into the bologna pile as you will never know it there. Tricks for grinding are: to coat "Thin" all grinder parts before starting with vegetable oil or grinder spray. Make sure the blade and plate are tight. Having your grinder parts in the fridge or freezer before hand helps. (Keep temp down in garage or kitchen also). Your trimmings should be cold as possible and even a little "frosted" won't hurt you any. Use these tips and your task will be a little easier in the end.

Keep your blades and plates in good shape also. Have them sharpened or replaced on occasion. (Meat will start to look a tad "creamy" when loosing the sharpness).

thumbnail (3).jpg Here are some patties after the ice cream scoop. Measured and ready for smashing.

Last edited:
Reactions: finelyshedded

Jamie

Ohio
I considered doing up patties in advance like this so many time it isn't funny. I even have a patty press. Always decide against it since we use ground venison for so many other things besides burgers, and I don't mind making patties whenever we need them. I never add anything to my burger when grinding because I make burgers different all the time. everything from plain straight up venison with nothing but salt and pepper to this, my favorite version of a bacon deer burger:

for 1lb of ground venison saute two tablespoons of minced shallots in about 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings on medium low heat until caramelized, about 6-8 minutes. allow to cool. once cooled, add to venison with two nice splashes of Worcestershire, salt, and McCormick seasoned pepper blend to taste. I usually make three good sized patties. grill on very hot preheated grill for two minutes, turn, put a couple of strips of precooked bacon on and your favorite cheese(s), grill two more minutes or until cheese is melty. cooked medium rare, super juicy every time.

bacon and cheese is required on every venison burger that hits my grill grate no matter what is inside.