Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baselayer thoughts

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I'm a big fan of merino for my base-layer. I do not find it itchy in the least, it definitely has anti-microbial properties that keeps it from stinking in the same way that synthetics do and is available in many weights to match to your style of hunting and the weather. I will also layer some of my tops and bottoms if the plans for the day make it a good idea.

I have never been a fan of smartwool, never held up to use for me.

I have had great success with icebreaker and have many of their pieces.

I know a few respected outdoorsmen that promote minus33 and it looks very nice and is actually nicely priced. I haven't bought any of it yet though.

I actually have not made the jump and bought any merino underwear yet I just realized.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have some Minus33 stuff and would recommend it, but it runs big. I like that they make a large tall, which is my true size most of the time. I have the First Lite Kiln layers as well and highly recommend them. You can't go wrong with a quality merino layer.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have some Minus33 stuff and would recommend it, but it runs big. I like that they make a large tall, which is my true size most of the time. I have the First Lite Kiln layers as well and highly recommend them. You can't go wrong with a quality merino layer.
Icebreaker doesn't have talls which I also fit into well. Their heaviest weight is 260 where Minus33 goes heavier than that.

I've not changed my base layers, but did go to a battery heated vest, last year. It is a LeapSee brand that has heat zones in the lower back, upper and lower chest areas. I purchased a couple of extra batteries, which are about the size of an average smart phone. There are 3 different heat levels to each zone. The vest itself is warm, but the added heating feature has allowed me to stay out for a lot longer than I ever used to stay. 💯 (y) :cool:
I wear a long-sleeved thermal shirt, between me and the heated vest. Then an outer camo jacket over the vest to maintain the heat from escaping. It's gotta be in the mid to lower 30s, before I'll turn on the heaters.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I have a couple of baselayers from FirstLite and have no complaints, but also have the second from heaviest baselayers that Cabelas makes and like them as well for late season. No matter the brand though, merino is the way to go. Socks, under wear, baselayers, etc.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I just bought a pair of the minus33 heavyweight bottoms. There are some operating rooms that are just darn cold so I'll see how they compare to my lighter weight ones i currently use in the cold rooms.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just bought a pair of the minus33 heavyweight bottoms. There are some operating rooms that are just darn cold so I'll see how they compare to my lighter weight ones i currently use in the cold rooms.
I wonder if there’s some real physiological data out there to support this, but I swear… the more I wear nice, warm, high quality baselayers and high-end outerwear, the more of a pussy I become in the cold. Even in my daily work activities in the winter time, I just don’t feel right without a nice merino baselayer on my bottom half.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I wonder if there’s some real physiological data out there to support this, but I swear… the more I wear nice, warm, high quality baselayers and high-end outerwear, the more of a pussy I become in the cold. Even in my daily work activities in the winter time, I just don’t feel right without a nice merino baselayer on my bottom half.
I know what you mean and i agree. I was blaming it on loss of muscle tone and mass as i am not as active as i once was in the weight room.

Reactions: jagermeister

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Initial impressions of the minus33 heavyweight bottoms.

Nice flat seams, very comfortable waistband feels distinctly heavier than my heaviest icebreaker pair. Icebreaker pair are 260, these are 300 so they should. Price was an ouch but if they keep me warm it'll be worth it.

I'm 6'3", 215ish and wear a 34-35" inseam in pants. I got the large tall and they are almost too long for me, it's not often i can say that but there's a wrinkle when standing but it disappears when sitting.

Reactions: Boarhead
few thoughts-

Knowing how to layer is very important. Knowing what layers you can use for access without perspiration is paramount

merino vs synthetic - comes down to how much walking, sweating and laundry you will be doing. Merino is better with moisture and odor but is not as good of a performer as some of the polypro based stuff. those that use heated vests, etc add even more complexity to it...but it will be ideal when dialed in

The adjacent mid layer(s) and breathability of the outer layer will also make base seem better or worse than how it truly is.

Buy used and/or avoid hunting based companies (looking at mountaineering, etc) for deep discounts

I started my journey with merino as the hunting buzz term, bought some and put cotton and other junk over it. Just like hunting a place- it takes time to gain knowledge to have a solid approach.

Reactions: Boarhead