Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bowhunting Public Land for Youth

djohn9713

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread. I searched and did not find one. Now that my son has taken his first deer he is primed to get another one. The trick is the one place we have hunted is tied up the rest of the year. I am now looking at public land and have never hunted any public property so I need some advice. Odds are the only time he can get out is over Christmas break as he has sports every weekend now through the winter. So, any advice or resources to point me toward? Thanks!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Berlin has a decent amount of public land around it... It should have calmed down from gun season by then...

Bigcountry40

When is this second rut you speak of? [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

I have never mentioned second rut, apparently according to some members on "live from the stand" its happening right now. Woodbury is a ghost town right now and will be until second gun! 2nd rut happens stronger in some areas than others (typically places with higher deer #'s). I have never seen it in NW Ohio , only observed it once in Holmes county before we lost that property! When I lived in the South bucks would chase basically from Mid Oct to January 1st when the season went out.

shawnh

I hunt Salt Fork regularly - public hunting areas. Saw plenty of deer last year - nothing this year in the few days I have been in the woods.