Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Can a Ohio hog be patterned

Buckkillr

Athens
Got a picture of one at a feeder and would obviously like to kill it off before too much damage is done to a food plot.

Can you pattern one?
When are they moving usually?
Where do they like to sleep?
Never hunted them so no clue what they do.

Attachments

• 7589.jpeg
    7589.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I agree with the above statement, right at dark and anytime during the night.

I'd use a spot light with a rifle or a thermal scope if I had one.

Try to get rid of him. If you have one in the area, there's a pretty good chance there are others around 'TOO'.

The bacon is absolutely awesome! They're good eaten!!

If you wish for any help, I'd be all to happy to oblige if you're willing to split the meat!

I intend on doing another out of state bore hunt sometime next spring, which is a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
In Ohio it has been my experience that they are very nomadic and cover large swaths of ground. Their core area may be 20 Square miles. I don't think anyone that I've ever seen get them on camera ever had this with any regularity. Most were just a single picture and never again.

Reactions: giles and Buckkillr

Chass

The Hills
Even around zaleski which is about the only place you can find them with any regularity, folks there tend to see them and then they're gone for weeks or months. Food is gonna be your best bet. They're roamers, you will see em and see where they have been by the mess they leave behind but who knows when they will be back

Reactions: Buckkillr
Take a post hole digger out in the field (in a location that can be covered within 100 yards with a rifle) and dig a hole about 2 feet deep. Use a 50 lb. bag of grain/corn to fill the hole, then pour 4 beers (cheapest you can find) on the corn. Pour the last of the corn on top of the hole and pour the last 2 cans of beer all over that pile of corn. Keep checking that pile of corn each night. Sooner or later they'll find it and eat it all, so much so, it'll look like a missile hit that spot.

If you can spot light them from 100 yards away, they can be shot at night. Night Vision and/or Thermal scopes are better than spot lights. I have a Night Vision scope and might be able to make the trip, if needed. I know a couple of brothers in Jackson, Ohio that would be closer and they use Thermal scopes.
I learned of this method from some guys in Vinton county, north of Londondeery. It works!