Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Can't figure this deer out

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This deer has been a regular. Big bodied. Appears to be losing weight. I don't see any visible injuries. I'm guessing he could be rut worn but have zero pics of him chasing. Pics about every day on this cam. Sometimes twice a day. Never trailing a doe. Always solo. We don't have many does on this particular property though.

Thoughts on health? Thoughts on age? He looks too big to be a 2 year old. Rack looks average for a 2yr old deer in this area. More or less curious of your opinions on his health. Body posture in the pics just seems odd.
Screenshot_20211113-223603.png
Screenshot_20211113-223625.png
Screenshot_20211113-223635.png
Screenshot_20211113-223645.png
Screenshot_20211113-223657.png
Screenshot_20211113-223711.png

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If this deer is 3, he has shit genes. I was more interested in thoughts on his condition. Thanks for sharing your deer though.

Ohio
I agree with you he looks older and run down. His front chest and belly line look of an older deer but he isn’t’ filled out. Maybe he was shot and you can’t see the injury. Hard to tell but the last time my dad shot a nice buck his body looked similar and we found a broad-head in his shoulder.

Reactions: hickslawns

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Looks like he might have a scar right behind his front shoulder. Also, his rear quarters appear lacking in size a bit. I think he looks to be at least a 2.5 year old on body size alone.

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Shoot him.
Had him at 18yds earlier this year. Vitals covered by brush every place he stopped. Given the chance I will shoot him. He is big bodied. Just odd body posture and apparent weight loss. I don't think he is on his way downhill in an old deer sense. Maybe just a little haggard from rut. Even if I haven't seen him chasing. He certainly could be.

Reactions: Bankfish

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds odd if that is what he has. I don't feed at all. (Too cheap 🤪). The beans and corn have been picked for the most part. I suppose it can still happen.

I saw a deer tonight that was very similar to him. Came thru in bow range and looked and walked perfectly fine. Didn't appear run down. So either: that was just an odd series of pics, or maybe I mixed up the deer. Maybe it wasn't the same one.