Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Clover Experiment

Ok. Going to try something a little out of the box. This plot is a little over 2 acres. In 2016 I planted 1/2 in ladino clover and 1/2 was soybean. When the soybeans were done, I frost-seeded ladino into the soybean side in the early spring 2017. Prior to planting this was just a common hayfield and I didn't spray roundup prior to planting and didn't spray anything after planting. There is some clover in it, including some natural red clover, but there is obviously a ton of weeds and many areas with no clover. Anyway for the experiment, I am going to spray this 2 acres with imox herbicide in late May/early June and see if the clover that is there will take it over. Not going to plant or spread any seeds. Edit: The all brown area is what I am doing. The plot in the lower right of the bottom pic is where I plant a fall annual every year.

3C0CC537-415F-43F6-9B22-15692DED1F16.jpeg
7C5A8FE0-B21C-47B4-AFDC-850494A4B9AA.jpeg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think your plan will work fairly well. Burn it with herbicide, put down some clover-appropriate fertilizer, mow it to 6-8" and pray for rain. (y)

Reactions: cspot

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Sounds like a good plan bud. I would not shy away from overseeding clover into the dead thatch - as Jesse said, pray for rain.

I do think that it is very important to fertilize clover as non fertilized clover doesn’t seem to have the draw like a fertilized field does - there have been studies to prove this but I’ve noticed this as well.

Might not be a bad idea to fertilize and then spray. The weeds will take up fert and want to grow like hell, that’s when they drink up that herbicide and you’ll get a great kill off.

Just a few suggestions- lots of ways to skin a cat. Good luck!

Reactions: cspot