Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote compensatory reproduction

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Since I've been hunting the yotes over the past few years, killing them every chance that I get, I now have bobcats in the area, which is somethin I haven't seen before.

One of them attacked my outdoor cat just yards away from me near our barn, about to carry him off into the woods during a summer evening, just before dark. I was able to stop him from doing that. A couple months later, my cat finally came up missing and have not seen him ever since. I do believe that bobcat finally got ahold of him for good this time.

I still occasionally see that bobcat in the area, quick glimpses of him here and there, and he does frequent our property far more than what I like.

I hope that we'll have the opportunity to hunt that kind of predator someday, before I get too old to do somethin about them.

Anyhow, chipmunks have made a comeback around here, where as years before we didn't have any at all, plus the Wild Turkeys too. Both, I believe have returned, or at least increased in population numbers.

We do have less number of coyotes now, both last year and this. Between me and another neighbor guy who he traps and I hunt them, I think we have put a nice dent into them. I still have not seen a mangled up deer yet by our local coyotes either, where as I was always used to seeing them in prior deer seasons quite regularly, and I have encountered them as well while in the act, chasing down those deer and destroying them in minutes. That has not happened at all, both last season, and this season, as of yet anyways.

Again, I do enjoy the sport of hunting coyotes with a rifle. It's a lot of fun when you're able to get on them like I have been over the past two years.
I want to, need to start killing some coyotes on my land in Ohio and NC, but have never done it. What are some pointers, I have a call and I am looking at a thermal. What time of day do you guys go? Any pointers would be appreciated

Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I want to, need to start killing some coyotes on my land in Ohio and NC, but have never done it. What are some pointers, I have a call and I am looking at a thermal. What time of day do you guys go? Any pointers would be appreciated

I will be maintaining this year's hunting journal when I start hunting the coyotes here soon. I will try to be thorough in what I do, use, so on and so forth.

Basically, the best times to catch them is the first and last half hour of daylight IMO, but with good call techniques, you can get them within range pretty much any time.

I hunt them in the middle of the night a lot too because it's easy to locate the pockets of them because they are most vocal during the middle of the night. When I hear them in the nearby area, I head in their direction and try to do a quick set, which has worked for me.

I have several locations near the creek bottoms around my parts that allows me to sneak in fairly undetected and quickly. The coyotes love to use the creek bottoms to cover a lot of ground between properties in my neck of the woods.

Again, once I get started in hunting them, I will be thorough in what I use and how I use it with specifics, hoping that some might learn from either my successes or failures, although I feel like I am more of a experienced coyote hunter now than just a few years ago.

Hope I answered at least some of the information you're looking for?

Last edited:
Reactions: Clay Showalter

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@Clay Showalter the most effective way is to run a ton of snares. We have some guys on TOO who have had a lot of success in it. I call at night when there is snow on the ground if I'm not out plowing. Had some success. Not a ton of success though. Plenty of sits where you see or hear nothing. Probably need to up my game and buy a thermal scanner and night vision scope if I wanted better success. Just can't justify the roughly $4000 to get a nice starter set up.