Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crossbow elk

Bighoun52

In the woods
Any one go elk hunting with crossbow? I would like to set up a hunt with my old man before he gets to much older. He only shoots a crossbow for archery these days. Just wondering if anyone has every went on a crossbow elk hunt

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I know in some states (Montana or Idaho) crossbows have to go in the muzzleloader season. But I'm interested in any info you find out.

Bighoun52

In the woods
No I was just hoping for a Call em in early season hunt and I think would have to be an archery hunt from what I can find. I maybe wrong but the info I have so far points that way

Reactions: giles

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Despite bugling bulls which makes locating them much easier it's still no easy task with a bow. I shot at three in Arizona, one over his back, and got robbed by a small twig on two others within 40 yards. If I had an iron sight 30-30 rifle I could have shot 15 of them graveyard dead, with 10 of those being in bow range. Early rifle hunts while bulls are bugling are hard to find for this exact reason. It would be so dang easy. If you do find a rut rifle hunt in a good area you might draw a permit in 30 years, or you're paying an Indian reservation the price of a new truck. With that said a lot of states have stipulations for crossbows in Archery season. One of the guys with us has Parkinsons, a simple note from his doctor that he mailed to Arizona Game and fish was all he needed to get a crossbow permit for archery season.

Bigcountry40

Any one go elk hunting with crossbow? I would like to set up a hunt with my old man before he gets to much older. He only shoots a crossbow for archery these days. Just wondering if anyone has every went on a crossbow elk hunt
How old is your old man currently? Elk hunting is work

Bigcountry40

He’s 68 but dudes a beast. Runs 4 miles a day and lifts. But don’t know how long he will be able to stay like that is my only worry
He would be able to do it, I know some western states don't allow crossbows, Colorado being one of them unless you are handicapped, which I assume your father is not.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Like I said earlier... HES YOUNG... Only as old as ya feel... I'll be 70 in Nov. and love bow hunting, but if I could go, I'd love to go with my 35 Whelen.. Back to the age thing, My brother is 85 and he's hoping to be up in a tree in Illinois this fall... Been shooting his Mathews but gotta get him a crossbow as even that will be an accomplishment.. Got him in a great spot and I don't want him not able to pull the bow on a cold morning... NO EXCUSES... LOL

Bigcountry40

Muzzleloader in Colorado is pretty good from what I have been told, but that is not over the counter. Second season rifle in colorado is over the counter
Also, the until I hunted on national park ground, I was told second season, guys drive around in 4x4 trucks that are lifted on the "main roads" and glass to locate, where first season it was more of a still hunting technique. I scouted bottle necks, bowls and knobs next to "dark timber" and thick quakies, this is how I killed my cow. But there were guys that would ride on side by sides on main roads, stop and glass. Just some tips about colorado in the unit I hunted.

Reactions: Bighoun52

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA

Im pretty sure you can use them in CO and WY. I have a couple friends who have used them hunting elk.

Reactions: Bighoun52