Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cultural Appropriation.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
And bread an potatoes arent depression era food. šŸ˜…

Most southern traditional foods are actually more African decent and civil war era. As the north randacked the South especially during Shermans march to the sea they raided farms and food coffers to feed the union army. Things like blackeyed peas, collard greens, okra, and others were left and viewed as animal feed as the union soldiers had never seen them, much less ate them. Because of its African influence they were more southern. As such that's all that was left for southernors to survive on in many places. That's why southerners eat black-eyed peas and collard greens on new years day for "luck" because they were lucky to have them.

Funny story. A few years back as a little southern fuck you i sat on the steps of Shermans boyhood home in Lancaster Ohio and ate black eyed peas and collard greens. šŸ˜‚
Thatā€™s what we had for New Years dinner šŸ˜‚Allmg with pork and sauerkraut. In hindsight, not a smart move if youā€™re driving 7 hours north the next day šŸ’©šŸ’©šŸ’©šŸ’©šŸ˜‚

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That ainā€™t trumps doing. Brisket, pork belly and chicken wings used to be the cheapest shit on an animal or bird. Now itā€™s the most expensive parts. Supply and demand.

The price of pork at the store is absolutely ridiculous. Pork farmers are barely making enough to keep their head above water. Market on a pig right now it about $45 per hundred weight. Thats somewhere in the neighborhood of $90 per pig. Yet retail prices are at historic highs and in some instances more expensive than beef.

Then these hippy farms where you can buy a whole pig want $4.75 a lb hanging weight. So somewhere around $700-800. And that's before processing making the cost for around 160 lbs of finished pork in the $1080 range. Which is $6.75 per pound.

I can go down to high fence double D outfitters and shoot one for $550 which includes processing. šŸ˜‚

Last edited: