Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

D-Loop....Metal vs. Cloth Cord

I've been seeing some variations of the D-Loop installation on some bows. 🤔
I've seen serving ties, inside the D-Loop, just a plain ole D-Loop (which is what I use) and metal D-Loops.
String pinch on the knock is why the guys use knock rings or serving ties inside the D-Loop. What difference in arrow flight that would make, I don't know. The string is in a vertical position at the release point, so there wouldn't be any string pinch on the knock. I'm not sure where this train of thought is coming from or going.

As for the metal D-Loops, I would think that the string oscillation after the release could cause some damage to the cables or other bow parts in the same area of that metal D-Loop. High speed videos will show a lot of movement on items like this, on a bow.

I guess my question is... What makes the difference and/or why would you use something other than a standard D-Loop?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The metal loops were around before string d loops. The concept, I believe, came from the metal loops. Unfortunately, the metal ones add a lot of weight and oscillations. They can cause some real problems and that is why folks went to the lighter string material.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not sure about the historical side of the convo, but Brock's assessment of why string loops are preferable, is why I find the preferable. Intuitively, it never made sense to me to have a rigid, heavy metal object flopping around on my string. I don't even like nock points and prefer raw doggin' with a d-loop. Hard to fathom a scenario where I'd pick a metal one over string.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not sure about nowadays, but when they metal ones came out I remember reading they pinched strings which I some cases caused premature failure of some strings. I was given one but when I tried installing it, I could see that happening and opted not too use it. Plus knocking and attaching the release seamed more awkward and a little noisy.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Using a release prior to the D loop innovation was a pain, IMO. The release would hook below the arrow, generally, and would put a great deal of pressure on the nock. It would often cause the nock sets to slide, usually after you had just finished getting the dang thing tuned. When I first saw the metal D loop hit the market I tried to buy one, knowing it was revolutionary to archery. My local bow shop owner at the time was ahead of the curve and instead talked me into this double jaw release. I used it for years. It solved all the normal issues with hunting bows. In fact, Mason used it to kill his first archery deer nearly 20 years after I purchased it. Still works flawlessly to this day. Bows, equipment and techniques have come a long way. Honestly, I think those rigid, string busting metal D loops are owed a debt of gratitude.
890433B8-C345-4553-A1D3-3B08BAEF6869.png

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I had a metal one for a bit. I didn't care for it flipping around on my string after release and pinching the string. I thought that it could cause some serious damage if it came lose or it busted the string. I had a peep come out once and that little piece of plastic came out with what seemed like the force of a 22 short. I honestly went back to the old brass crimp on and hooked the release below it until string loops became popular.

Gentlemen, your replies are exactly what I suspected and the reason why I use the soft cord type d-loop, to this day. 🤔
I've been flinging arrows long enough to remember the fads, cycles and inventions along the years. :rolleyes:

Someone on another forum was stating that he uses a knock ring above and below the knock, plus adding a d-loop on either side of the rings, to avoid string pinch. 🙃 I asked if he seen an improvement, from previous arrow flight and he said "no". So, why the "extra" setup? Strange how people tend to fix what ain't broken. :cautious: Seems like a lot of extra effort for no gain.

Attachments

• d-loop.png
    d-loop.png
    512.6 KB · Views: 83
Back when I made the transition into the D-loop I had all kinds of questions. I just couldn't understand how a piece of twine tied in place was good enough to locate the arrow for consistent shooting. I grew up with metal knock points, sometimes one on top of each other or at least wax string wrapped above to keep it from ever sliding when I switched from fingers to a release. Then I found eliminator buttons to have put on your string to give you a rubber barrier between the nock and the release. Then came the loop. So fricking easy to tie, so reliable and consistent I wondered why I didn't go to it earlier when people started using them.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Gentlemen, your replies are exactly what I suspected and the reason why I use the soft cord type d-loop, to this day. 🤔
I've been flinging arrows long enough to remember the fads, cycles and inventions along the years. :rolleyes:

Someone on another forum was stating that he uses a knock ring above and below the knock, plus adding a d-loop on either side of the rings, to avoid string pinch. 🙃 I asked if he seen an improvement, from previous arrow flight and he said "no". So, why the "extra" setup? Strange how people tend to fix what ain't broken. :cautious: Seems like a lot of extra effort for no gain.
I tie nock sets above and below my arrow nock, and then tie the d-loop above and below the nock sets of course. The top nock set is roughly half the width of the bottom nock set. The nock sets give you a solid reference (should the d-loop fail and/or need tied), help prevent nock pinch, and help better align the jaws of the release with the back of the arrow.