Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

December tactics

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Im in town for the weekend. I hunted last night and saw a doe. This morning i didnt see anything. I had to take my mother to the doctors this afternoon so i missed out on that hunt.

I plan on hunting tomorrow am and pm. Im in a grest spot with plenty of sign.

My question is what are your thoughts on deer movement in the morning when its in the low 20s or teens? My experience is you dont see a whole lot until after 1 or 2 pm when it has warmed up.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I saw a group of four does just working very slowly through the woods this morning about an hour into shooting light. I hunted again tonight and didn’t see anything except two I bumped from thier beds on the way across the corn field. So I don’t know! I think deer are crazy and just kind of do whatever!

Reactions: viper

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just depends where you're hunting. Hunting close to food, evenings tend to be better. Close to bedding, morning hunts will probably be more productive. It's not rocket surgery. But I have noticed that evenings are a little more consistent for sightings.... The mornings can be hit or miss, since often times they're already bedded down before sunrise.

Just depends where you're hunting. Hunting close to food, evenings tend to be better. Close to bedding, morning hunts will probably be more productive. It's not rocket surgery. But I have noticed that evenings are a little more consistent for sightings.... The mornings can be hit or miss, since often times they're already bedded down before sunrise.

This has been my experience as well. Tough to hunt in but this time of year the colder the better for movement in daylight. I usually concentrate my hunting for the evenings.

Jal5

I was on stand from 2-dark today. Cold as can be and light snow cover so you could see far off. Just no deer moving at all. Our county was hard hit by that bacterial disease. Saw very few this whole season.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've noticed that later in the year the deer move later in the morning. A couple hours after legal light. The evenings however tend to be the most productive for me and usually not until the last hour.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
On stand now.
12418.jpeg

Reactions: jagermeister

Mao

Coshocton, OH
At this point in the year, after gun season, I’ve only seen mature bucks in daylight, I guess I should say last few minutes of daylight, come to corn in cold temps. I know others can kill them on natural movement or food plots, but I’m not that good and I don’t have food plots. I go fishing at this point and throw a bag of corn and a camera out until I locate one I want to hunt. If I find one, I will bait the site and heavily cover a blind and let the camera tell me when to hunt. It worked out well for my daughter last year as she killed a nice P and Y on January 2nd in single digits. Had I been able to hunt more I had a 140” 9 show himself i daylight several times but never when I was out. Just my experience.

Jal5

Went out this morning in the rain in my popup blind. Nothing moving not even squirrels. Not bad early at first light but by 9 it was a downpour and I left shortly before 10.