Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Decoy question/

Bowman

For those who have experience using a decoy, what is the best time frame to use one? I realize they can make or break a hunt, and can work anytime now to post rut, but if you had to narrow it down to the best week, what would it be?

I only ask as I've been hunting PA, and Ohio on Sundays. Today was my 3rd hunt in Ohio and saw 5 different bucks and 4 does. Could have shot a 120 twice, and another 100 or so buck. But out of all the bucks I saw, I messed with them bleating, grunting and some rattling to see their reaction when they were just out of range, and not one of them bucks even cared, as they were busy sniffing around where does went.

Anyways got me to thinking as I want to try a decoy in the field but will be limited to maybe a couple hunts, so want to pick the best time to do it? As today would have been useless with a decoy as these bucks didn't pay attention to any calling at all. Even though I could have shot a couple of them, but this was before I did any calling.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Now. Check out the Brock/Mason journal thread. He has had a lot of success with his decoy.

I'm in N.W. Ohio and in this area, it seems that the deer need plenty of notice of a decoy. By "notice", I mean that they need to be able to see it in advance of their arrival. If the decoy is in an open field and you're in a tree at the edge of a woods, that gives them time to see it and make an approach. If the decoy is inside a woods, it has to be able to be seen a good 60+ yards, before they walk up on it.

Anytime that I've had a decoy and the deer walked up on it (in less than 50 yards), they spooked. Some spooked hard and left the area. Others just didn't like the decoy and gave it a wide birth.
I had a doe with a fawn walk up on a pair of feeding doe decoys (Montana Decoys), punch them with her nose, squatted and peed beside them and left. Her fawn was a bit more curious, but left when her mom left. It was as though the doe was saying, "this is my area, move on", the way she marked her turf and acted aggressive towards the decoys.

Open displays/settings of my feeding doe decoys, have always had the deer curious. They held the deer long enough for a shot and that's their only purpose. I always attached a piece (3" wide x 14" long / something the wind will catch) of white tyvek suit material (paper suit will work), to the tail section of the decoys for motion and something to spray some scent.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Bowman

Well I tried a decoy for my very first time on 2 hunts so far, and what's the chances both times a little buck came in and checked my buck decoy out?

The second hunt after a little 6 point left, and 130 or so 10 point came out with a doe around 100 yards out. I called a bit to get his attention and know he saw the decoy, but followed the doe, couldn't get her to come either.

But being the nicer bucks are with does, I'm wondering if I should try the decoy without antlers, or should I stick with the buck decoy? Just not sure how effective a buck decoy is going to be on a nice one right now? Thanks

Cogz

Cogz
TX
Well I tried a decoy for my very first time on 2 hunts so far, and what's the chances both times a little buck came in and checked my buck decoy out?

The second hunt after a little 6 point left, and 130 or so 10 point came out with a doe around 100 yards out. I called a bit to get his attention and know he saw the decoy, but followed the doe, couldn't get her to come either.

But being the nicer bucks are with does, I'm wondering if I should try the decoy without antlers, or should I stick with the buck decoy? Just not sure how effective a buck decoy is going to be on a nice one right now? Thanks
Interested in hearing about others thoughts on this, but I would think no antlers might get you a scent check. Position her so you’ll have a decent shot when he comes towards her tail.

Bowman,
I would highly recommend a doe decoy vs. a buck decoy. Reason being... the deer "society" is ruled by the does. The does raise the bucks and the does, they are looking out for danger at all times due to their young and then it becomes a life long habit. The does live where the best food sources exist and have the best bedding locations.

I use a doe bleat call, 90% of the time and always get a positive response. Does like does, bucks like does, fawns like does.
Bucks can be territorial and therefore intimidating to other bucks and offer a threat. However, not every buck in the woods is looking for a fight and at one point in a buck's life, he's had his butt kicked and didn't like it. Sex is what they're interested in and what will get them in trouble and/or killed. (Story of my life.)

That being said, if you use a buck decoy, only use 1 antler on it. 1 antler indicates a lesser status and is less intimidating to rival bucks. I witnessed 4 bucks vying for the attention of 1 doe. The obvious largest racked buck (12 pointer) was in pursuit and the smaller racked 6 pointers were following at a distance. The 4th buck was bigger bodied than the 6 pointers and would've been a respectable 10 pointer, but he had one of his antlers broken off. The meaner or more dominant of the two 6 pointers ran him out of the woods.

Good luck with your decoying!
Bowhunter57

Reactions: Cogz