Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Decoy school 101

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We have had great luck with them. Buck only, both antlers. Placed quartered to the stand at about ten or fifteen yards. You want it placed where they can see it from a very long way off. They don’t like to be surprised by it.

Reactions: giles and Mike

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
We have had great luck with them. Buck only, both antlers. Placed quartered to the stand at about ten or fifteen yards. You want it placed where they can see it from a very long way off. They don’t like to be surprised by it.
Prolly what happened to basket buck. He was suprised about it. Guess I’ll have to move it to my left toward to cornfield in front of me. Shooter buck’d come on out to middle of cornfield and stops to look my way. That might do the trick next time when he sees the decoy 150 yards from it. Hmmm

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We are getting into the part of the season where I have little success with the decoy too. Pre rut is awesome. Right now it may work but doesn’t have the magnetic draw that it does the last week of October.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
We are getting into the part of the season where I have little success with the decoy too. Pre rut is awesome. Right now it may work but doesn’t have the magnetic draw that it does the last week of October.
Yep i decoyed in a Amish hunter once with turkey decoys - had to yell so he wouldn't shoot - lol

Bigcountry40

I've never used one, I have a goofy older buddy who uses one as a doe because he lost antlers, hes killed a few small bucks over it. He takes his decoy to his pre determined location early in the season and lays it down in the brush and covers in with a camo tarp. I believe he keeps it outside under a tarp at home as well this keeps the decoy from picking up any scent

Reactions: giles