Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer feeder batteries

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Has anyone had issues keeping a charge in their rechargeable batteries ? I have two feeders, each using the Ray O Vac Sportsman rechargeable battery. All was well from August to @ the middle of November when I had to recharge them. I honestly thought they'd last longer. The feeders spit out 6 sec worth of corn once a day. I charged each battery overnight but they didn't last very long. Last week I charged a battery for a good ten hrs & when taking it back out & it wouldn't do anything other than lighting up the digital screen once, before giving me a blank screen. I bought brand new RayOVacs batteries a few days ago for both & installed one yesterday with no problems. I haven't made it out to the further feeder yet to change out. So, I'm jus wondering if maybe I should look for a different battery brand for next year or what. Any ideas ?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
You will never have great charges out of rechargeable batteries. When I used them, I had to keep 2 extra batteries charged and replace every time I added corn. That got to be a pain so I switched to 6V Lantern Battery Adapters. (Moultrie used to add one with each feeder) They are a "Cage" that holds 4 D Batteries to 6V conversion. They are not cheap, but the life will like triple if not more per change. I get probably 8 or 10 months out of 4 D Batteries now. My feeders go 4 seconds twice a day.
They are getting hard to find but there is a few on ebay currently. Type in Rayovac Lantern Battery Adapter. The 3 for 21.00 is about the best your gonna do.
s-l1600 (3).jpg..s-l1600.jpg

Note: I already tried the Solar Chargers added to the feeders. Coons LOVE to tear them off~~Thus more money wasted.

Hope this helps some of your trial and error period.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
When i used to run a feeder the solar panel worked great but like Rick said the coons will tear the cord.
Quick fix for that was running the cord through a piece of heater hose hooking it to the battery then taping the ends real good,never had a problem after that,my buddy has the feeder now and it is still working great,damn battery will run for several years on that solar panel.

Buckmaster

Portage
My feeder has been out in the field for 3 years with the original rechargeable battery with a solar panel. I had one instance from coons and wires and another from what I think may have been a bear.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I use a lantern type rechargeable and I also had trouble with the squirrels and Coons tearing up the wire to the solar panel. I got a metal cord like they used on pay phone handles and ran the wire through that...haven’t had a problem since.

Buckmaster

Portage
I use a lantern type rechargeable and I also had trouble with the squirrels and Coons tearing up the wire to the solar panel. I got a metal cord like they used on pay phone handles and ran the wire through that...haven’t had a problem since.

I used a rubber 5/16 automotive gas line. No problems either.