Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DIY "Deadnuts" target

Creamer

Athens
I've been interested in the 2D Deadnuts style targets but couldn't make myself spend the cheddar on one. Then it hit me, I have several of the "Nice Target" deer targets that are printed on heavy duty plastic. I staple them to the wood frame in front of my range bag quite a bit.

So why not try to make one? I had a big piece of packing foam I saved from work and a couple of old foam play tiles laying around. I assembled a "frame" big enough for the deer.

I glued the target face to the foam with spray adhesive. It's not quite life size, but it beats shooting at spots and gives me some flexibility to move around a little.

It's working so far. It probably needs some stakes or something because the wind knocks it over quite a bit where I am.

After I made this one, I looked into what the Deadnuts are made of, and I believe it's a corrugated plastic signage material. As it turns out, Menard's (and Lowe's) sells the stuff. For $35 you could buy an 8' sheet that would make multiple targets. The Nice Target sheets I have bought off Amazon are usually around $8-10 each. A Deadnuts goes for about $120. Down the road, I may end up buying a sheet and making a few of these. When a facing gets worn out, just glue a fresh one down to the frame.

Menard's link to the sheeting: https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...8x96/p-1642874318251195-c-14048.htm?exp=false