Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Early goose 2018

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Had a decent early goose season to start out the 2018 hunting season . It was kinda a screwy yr as most of our birds came from alfalfa fields or hay fields . Had one good day roost shoot as well. Birds just never got into the sileage here , and I think the hot dry weather had something to do with it . Now that things are cooler and wet I expect to see em in sileage now that the early season is over .
Ended up killing 93 total from 6 hunts .

Reactions: Mike and MoonLab

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's a pile of birds Jake! Nice work!

We haven't been out and likely won't get out. My buddy's boat was supposed to be here and unfortunately, it's still in MS.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Here's a few pictures of dead birds . We divy through birds up . I am gonna be dropping off my share at the meat processors to get snack sticks made this week . They turn out really good and it's the best way I've found to make use of the geese .
IMG_20180908_091149378.jpg
IMG_20180905_193222515.jpg
IMG_20180903_101912286.jpg
IMG_20180902_082044506_HDR.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We started taking ours in for snack sticks last year and won't go back to doing anything else. Should be plenty of sticks to get you through a few hunts!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Yeah . Like I always say " I eat geese cause I like goose hunting , I don't goose hunt cause I like to eat geese"

Haha . Sticks are great tho . I eat the heck out em. And they make great gifts for landowners . Many of whom are shocked to find out goose is edible .

I don't get any deer sticks made anymore . Goose is as good as deer , at least from this processor I use . I still get some trail bologna or summer sausage from deer tho .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd agree on it being just as good as deer in the sticks. We took all our snow geese in with a batch of Canadas and had them all done together. Damn tasty and like you said, people are shocked when they eat them. My wife devoured 2 one night before I told her they were geese. She wasn't pleased, but ate a third anyways!