Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Email to OSTA, NTA, & ODOW Regarding Proposed Coyote Season & Permit Regulations.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I reached out to the Ohio State Trappers Association (OSTA), Ohio Directors for the National Trappers Association (NTA) and the Ohio Department of Wildlife (ODOW) with the below emails asking for a statement.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
OSTA Board of Directors,

My Name is Joe Wilson Co-Owner of the forum TheOhioOutdoors.com. A member recently brought to light the proposed regulation change regarding coyotes season dates and permit requirements. After asking around it was brought to my attention that OSTA may have championed the agenda item. After a quick review of you forum and news sections of your website I was unable to find any mention of your support for the proposal. In an effort to provide our over 5,800 members factual information I’m reaching out with a couple of questions. Your response would be greatly appreciated by our membership.

• Did OSTA or the NTA champion the new proposed regulation changes?
  • Was this done solely by OSTA and/or NTA in conjunction with another organization?
If the above is true, please consider responses to the below.

• Were Hunters, Trapper or OSTA/NTA members engaged for an opinion prior to championing the proposal to the ODNR.
  • Why does OSTA support the proposed regulation?
  • Is there factual wildlife or environmental impact data to support #2 above?

I thank you for your time and consideration for a response to this matter. At TheOhioOutdoors we strive to keep our membership up to date with news and changes to our hunting landscape.

Joe Wilson
Co-Owner: TheOhioOutdoors.com
937-346-7301
Joe@TheOhioOutdoors.com

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Directors Kenneth Stewart & Craig Spoores,

Hello, my Name is Joe Wilson Co-Owner of the forum TheOhioOutdoors.com. A member recently brought to light the proposed regulation change regarding Ohio coyotes season dates and permit requirements. After asking around it was brought to my attention that OSTA and or the NTA may have championed the agenda item. After a quick review of both websites I was unable to find any mention of your support for the proposal. In an effort to provide our over 5,800 members factual information I’m reaching out with a couple of questions. Your response would be greatly appreciated by our membership.

• Did OSTA or the NTA champion the new proposed regulation changes?
  • Was this done solely by OSTA and/or NTA, or in conjunction with another organization?
If the above is true, please consider responses to the below.

• Were Hunters, Trapper or OSTA/NTA members engaged for opinion prior to championing the proposal to the ODNR.
  • Why does OSTA/NTA support the proposed regulation?
  • Is there factual wildlife or environmental impact data to support #2 above?

I thank you for your time and consideration for response to this matter. At TheOhioOutdoors we strive to keep our membership up to date with news and changes to our hunting landscape.

Joe Wilson
937-346-7301
Joe@TheOhioOutdoors.com

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Email to ODNR

To whom it may concern,

Hello, my Name is Joe Wilson Co-Owner of the forum TheOhioOutdoors.com. A member recently brought to light the proposed regulation change regarding Ohio coyotes season dates and permit requirements. (1501:31-15-09 Hunting and trapping regulations for furbearing animals.) After asking around I was unable to locate an organization that may have championed this proposal. In an effort to provide our over 5,800 members factual information, I’m reaching out with a couple of questions. Your response would be greatly appreciated by our membership.

• Was the proposal the sole idea of the ODOW?
  • Are there any external organized groups who supported and championed this proposal?
  • Were hunters or trappers engaged for an opinion prior to submitting the proposal?
  • Is there factual wildlife or environmental impact data that would support this proposal?

I thank you for your time and consideration for a response to this matter. At TheOhioOutdoors we strive to keep our membership up to date with news and changes to our hunting landscape.

Joe Wilson
937-346-7301
Joe@TheOhioOutdoors.com

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Placeholder Post for OSTA Response.

Spoke for over an hour to OSTA president Keith Daniels.

It has been the position of the OSTA board for the last 4-5 years that coyote trapping should follow the requirements to have a fur taker permit and align with the furbearer season.

However

They did not push for the recently proposed rule change, that was the ODNRs decision. For many years there has been a split decision at the DNR over the rule. The Director decided to move forward with it.

The reason for OSTA support is the reduce negative public exposure caused by untrained hunters using snares and traps to target coyotes. It's their belief that requiring a further permit and thus a trappers ed class will reduce negative issues. They have been instances of deer, pets, and other non-target incidentals. His position is an understandable one. When fluffy gets snared its not the hunters' phone that's being blown up by the news, it's OSTAs.

15 bucks and a self-paced online trapper ed class is a small price to pay for any deer hunter who wants to ethically trap coyotes.

My opinion.

I agreed with a lot he had to say and can understand their position. I made mention thaI i think support could be gained for the permit requirement easier than reducing the season to align with other furbearers. He did make mention again that while they support the proposal it is not something they pursued as they have other more important fights.

The reason for supporting the limited season was again along the lines of public opinion. It's a hard sell for trappers if an anti-group throws out an ad of a dead snared momma coyote by a den with starving pups scattered around her.

One thing he mentioned heavily was unity and understanding. We need to provide a unified front and make appropriate changes to reduce negative public opinion. While I agreed I told him it was going to be a tough sell to deer hunters who view them as a nuisance. By in large the main reason we're seeing deer hunters target coyotes is due to the deer population reduction efforts of the ODNR. Hunters are looking to do whatever they can to preserve and grow what they have and coyotes are an easy target to help rebound their personal deer population numbers.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Placeholder Post for NTA Response.

Response from Craig Spoores with NTA.

"I am sorry but I am not a wary of any change in regulation on fur bearers that NTA pursued. If NTA would do this it would be with the support and recommendation of Ohio Trappers.(OSTA)
Craig Spoores "

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla