Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Factory ammo options

Creamer

Athens
I got my .22-250 out last week and found out I was damn near out of ammo. I had not shot it in a while, and haven't bought ammo for it in probably 15+ years. So what is out there? What are you folks shooting in terms of ammo in similar rifles? I know ammo prices have gone through the roof, and I've seen some prices online and know what to expect to pay. Is there a popular round right now for varmint hunting that is relatively easy to find? What I had for this gun was relatively cheap Winchester 45 grain hollowpoint rounds. Cheap, but this gun "liked" them. It's a Remington 700 with the heavy target barrel, a hand-me-down from my father. Very heavy, but it's a shooter.

My first three out of the pipe when I shot it last week. The flier to the right was #1. Shitty trigger yank on my part, I felt it when I did it. The other two were where this gun should be. It was sighted in to be about 1" high at 100 yards, and this was only about 70 yards. This gun is capable of better shooting than I can execute.

What are you folks shooting? Suggestions?

Fletch

Supporting Member
Unfortunately today you are limited to what's available not what brand or bullet you desire... Just did a quick search on Midway USA and everything was unavailable except a brand I never heard of... So Good Luck finding ammo...

mike hunt

That gun probably has a 1 in 14 twist barrel, it will shoot better with <50gn bullets. Hornady makes 50gn super performance rounds that shoot pretty good out of my 700. If you can find them.

Creamer

Athens
Unfortunately today you are limited to what's available not what brand or bullet you desire... Just did a quick search on Midway USA and everything was unavailable except a brand I never heard of... So Good Luck finding ammo...

I had this concern from my searches on Vance's website. They listed a lot of options for .22-250 but if you read the fine print nearly all of them were out of stock.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I had this concern from my searches on Vance's website. They listed a lot of options for .22-250 but if you read the fine print nearly all of them were out of stock.
That seems to be the issue everywhere. They list all kinds of options and prices then you scroll down to place an order and you get a currently out of stock... Right now I just want to find some CCI magnum 209 primers for my muzzle loader...

Reactions: Creamer

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
@Creamer
Jeff, I’d go too a forum that has your gun model and caliber specific. There’s plenty of people shooting the same gun and round, they’ll have a better idea of what exactly works and it’ll save you the $$ and time sighting one in.

Reactions: Creamer

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Did you save the brass? Never shot factory out of my 22-250 always shot reloads. I have a head space and cartridge over all length gauges. With the right loads you can cover up five shots with a dime. If your ever up NW Ohio way I could work a load up for you. I have new brass but once fired would be better. Warmer weather would be better since my press is out in the shed lol. I use a 50 grain Hornady speer point varmint bullet that works great for ground hogs and yotes.

Creamer

Athens
Did you save the brass? Never shot factory out of my 22-250 always shot reloads. I have a head space and cartridge over all length gauges. With the right loads you can cover up five shots with a dime. If your ever up NW Ohio way I could work a load up for you. I have new brass but once fired would be better. Warmer weather would be better since my press is out in the shed lol. I use a 50 grain Hornady speer point varmint bullet that works great for ground hogs and yotes.

I saved all of my brass since I have had the gun on the hope that some day I'd get started reloading. I have at least 100 empties based off the boxes of brass I found looking for ammo.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish