Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finally aid a good one down with a bow

loose_is_fast

McClure
Yesterday started off with me hitting the snooze 3 times before I pulled my lazy butt out of bed. The wind was still howling and my bed was warm but I finally drug myself to the shower and out the door I went.
Arriving at the farm well after I would have liked I made my way across a mudded up cover crop field. The wind was still blowing pretty good so I figured my best stand would be my furthest stand that sits against the creek. It is 30feet up putting me at eye level from the top of the ridge 35 yards away. A tall grass field to my west and corn to the north of that. I get settled in at about 8 and just sit there wondering to myself how in the hell am I going g to get a deer out of here after hiking through mud for 500 yards.
About a half hour later a doe and button buck come in and I draw. At full draw with my pin settled on the does vitals I couldn't force myself to shoot her. Knowing the hell I was going to face getting a deer out of there I just held at full draw until it was safe to let down. Now I am questioning why I am even in the stand if I'm not going to shoot anything.
I convinced myself that it is November stay in stand and maybe just maybe a buck would show up. I jump on here and start to look at some posts. I get a text from my wife asking how it was going and that she was heading to the store.
Just then I catch some movement at the top of the ridge where the woods meets the grass field and it is antlers. I immediately grab my bow and get ready. I can only see his right side antler and that is it. He is walking on a perfect angle towards me with two trees in line. I drew not knowing exactly what he was and just waited for him to come into the open so I could see him. He turns left and I can finally see that he is in fact a shooter and he will will be walking left to right at 23 yards and close to a level shot. I stop him in a good opening and settle my pin in. My bow surprised me when my release let go and I see the arrow bury in his ribcage. As he bound away I could see blood pumping out immediately.
I gain my composure and make a couple calls to buddys. A four wheeler and two beasts show up an hour later and I get out of stand. The track job was easy and we found him piled up 80 yards from the base of the tree i was in.
Thanks to Dave for posting the original thread.

Attachments

• 20191101_102740.jpg
    20191101_102740.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 319
  • 20191101_105024.jpg
    20191101_105024.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 341
  • 20191101_103906.jpg
    20191101_103906.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 347

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congratulations again, nice write up as well. It seems like the majority of successes come on days when we least expect it or after little road bumps pop up early in the hunt like running late and such. Good stuff👍🏻