Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First attempt at making ground venison jerky, tips wanted

steveOh

Dayton Area
I am planning on trying to make venison jerky for the first time. I will be using ground venison and using the oven. Any tips, tricks, favorite packaged mixes, etc. would be appreciated. How long will it take using the oven and how can you tell if it is done? I will be using a rolling pin to flatten out the ground, not a jerky shooter. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I use a dehydrator and jerky shooter that I got at Walmart but I guess you could use the oven instead. You could still buy the cure and seasonings at Walmart and substitute the oven for the dehydrator. Don’t know what temps or duration in the oven but you should turn it once during the process. Let us know how it works out.

Reactions: djohn9713 and Mike

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I tried an oven, smoker and dehydrator and the dehydrator was easiest with the best results. 125 sounds about right. I think to get that low on our oven we had to turn it on warm and keep the door cracked. I always do whole meat jerky with the powdered stuff from Walmart or similar, never liked any of the liquid recipes as much and it costs a lot more buying all those ingredients. I do plan on making some ground meat jerky if I ever shoot a deer so I’m following along here. I have a jerky gun someone gave me for Christmas that I’ve never used.

Reactions: Mike and Sgt Fury

djohn9713

Following along here as I would like to try to make some jerky and maybe sticks out of ground venison. Thinking of buying a small dehydrator to do this. My son experimented the other day by thinly slicing a venison roast, seasoning it with a powdered mixture and then cooking it in the oven. It was in the oven at the lowest temp it would go (170) with the door just cracked. Cooked all day. He thought it was okay, but I did not care for it.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Ive done lots of whole meat in the oven on the racks. 190 degrees, door propped open with any utensil. Usually 3.5 hours or less. For ground, the best luck I've had is in dehydrator. You need fine mesh to hold meat together.