Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Kills with my Versa Max

I lucked into a dozen Flambeau goose decoys, for $45. So, I thought I'd give them a try this morning. Two flocks of geese passed by and as I called to them, the second flock dropped down and made a fly by for a closer look. My Remington Versa Max was performing quite well, as I dropped 2 of them. One at 48 yards and the second one at 64 yards. Kent Fasteel @ 1550 fps and BBBs combined with a Patternmaster Code Black Goose choke, seemed to be getting the job done, nicely. (y):cool:

I used to own a Russian MP-153, that was a goose killin' machine. However, I do believe this Versa Max has taken its' place with authority. :) These geese were "flamed", dead when they hit the ground and fell out like a rock.

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Goose 2.jpg
    Goose 2.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Goose 1.jpg
    Goose 1.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 226
What did you do, pull out a rangefinder before shooting them? How do you know they were 48 yards and 64 yards? 😂😂😂

Busting your balls. Nice job on the geese!
jagermeister,
I guessed as much, about the "ball busting". :LOL: I'm used to people calling BS on these longer shots, but paper doesn't lie. :) I've always been a strong believer in paper patterning at the distances I intend to hunt.

Under most circumstances, I would agree with you about the yardages. However, these geese were flying from right to left and as I shot, they dropped straight to the ground. I stepped off those "estimations" from where I was standing to where they fell. (y)
I've paper patterned this shotgun/choke tube/ammo combination at 40, 50 and 60 yards and it's solid for killing geese. 1 3/8 oz. of BBBs seems to have enough pellets in the pattern to make clean kills at these distances. Both of these geese had pellet holes in their backs, indicating that the pellets passed completely through them, at those distances.

The Versa Max is known for patterning low and this one is no exception. At 40 yards it's a solid 12" low to the center of the pattern, from the P.O.A. :rolleyes: I have a Sightmark Mini Shot and picatinny rail on order, that I intend to install to correct having to compensate for the low pattern impact. I fired all 3 rounds and (in my opinion) I should've had 3 geese on the ground.
I have a Sightmark Ultra Shot on my Mossberg 500 Turkey Special and won't hunt without it. Best installation/add-on that I've seen on a shotgun in years. :cool:

Bowhunter57

Just an update about the Sightmark Mini Dot. I'm shocked at the improvement of hitting a target, ease of acquiring a target and simplicity of the overall use compared to bead sights.
I went to a sportingclays and forgot to change from my Patternmaster Code Black Goose choke tube, to an Improved Modified. The Mini Dot made it easy to follow the clay bird past 30 yards and still dust it. The guys that were shooting with me said, "I seen that you were still following the bird, but was wondering when you were going to shoot."
There were a couple of shots that I hit the bird about 3' before it would've hit the ground. I love this Mini Dot sight!

Attachments

• Sightmark Mini Dot.jpg
    Sightmark Mini Dot.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 101
I just picked up a Burris Speed Bead with a Red Dot Reflex myself for my Benelli 20 ga. The base fits between the stock and the receiver. I have a couple friends who use them and love them.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
More upgrades to the Versa Max. :)
* The lift plate had 2 "forks" that continued up from each side and were unnecessary as a function for the shotgun's reloading. They were constantly in the way of snagging my thumb or the gloves on my thumb. :mad: So, I removed the action from the receiver, then used a Dremmel to cut them off with a cutting disc and then rounded them off with with a sanding drum. (y)
* I added a larger release button on the side and a tactical charging handle. These add-ons are great for quick reloads, when hunting geese. 💯
Versa Max 3.jpg

Versa Max 4.jpg