Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flocking/airbrushing

Asa.garand

So I have been into flocking for a little while, not sure how much it actually helps. I recently started airbrushing and this is my first attempt. I am thinking in the places I hunt 5 or 6 fully flocked and brushed deeks with one fixed with my secret weapon will make a difference. Anyone else here paint/flock their own deeks?

Picture is standard Flambeau cheapos, one before and one after.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I had more time I could see myself getting into it. Good stuff.

Not bad, but if I may offer some constructive criticism, it's way too dark in my opinion. Spend some time observing real birds on the water, in various levels of light. The CONTRAST of the colors is what really stands out at a distance. The light colors on ducks, especially the whites, is what really pops and is what real birds key in on when coming in to land. Don't get me wrong... I think dark colors have their place too in certain conditions. I like to add black ducks to my spread for this reason. However if you make all your decoys look as dark as the one above you're going to be sacrificing a lot of realism in your spread. Keep at it... Practice makes perfect!

Asa.garand

If I had more time I could see myself getting into it. Good stuff.

Not bad, but if I may offer some constructive criticism, it's way too dark in my opinion. Spend some time observing real birds on the water, in various levels of light. The CONTRAST of the colors is what really stands out at a distance. The light colors on ducks, especially the whites, is what really pops and is what real birds key in on when coming in to land. Don't get me wrong... I think dark colors have their place too in certain conditions. I like to add black ducks to my spread for this reason. However if you make all your decoys look as dark as the one above you're going to be sacrificing a lot of realism in your spread. Keep at it... Practice makes perfect!

Totally agree. My thought with going darker for this one was bigger open water. Or that's what I like to say. Honestly the base coat under the white flocking was too dark and airbrushing it brighter didn't work. It's definitely going to be a constant learning experience. I appreciate the feedback!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
This is a great time to watch the live birds as the spring migration is in full swing. Was checking out a new park on the east end of Lucas county yesterday. Over 800 acres with 700 hundred of it being water. Over one million cubic yards of dirt have been excavated on this site. It's just starting to fill with water and the amount of waterfowl in there is crazy. Grand opening is end of April and yes there will be controlled waterfowl hunting in the fall. Damn I drifted a little lol. The colors on the ducks now are the best you will see all year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is a great time to watch the live birds as the spring migration is in full swing. Was checking out a new park on the east end of Lucas county yesterday. Over 800 acres with 700 hundred of it being water. Over one million cubic yards of dirt have been excavated on this site. It's just starting to fill with water and the amount of waterfowl in there is crazy. Grand opening is end of April and yes there will be controlled waterfowl hunting in the fall. Damn I drifted a little lol. The colors on the ducks now are the best you will see all year.

I'm looking forward to that property opening up. It's been one hell of a project. Word is the metro parks are going to conduct controlled waterfowl hunts.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah I'm not sure how there doing it yet but if it's like the deer hunts where you get a spot for a certain time period would be cool. Place is friging huge lol. Howard Marsh is the name of it. There is another 300 acres on the west side of Howard road that will be phase two of the project.