Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frost Seeding. Timing, Tips, & Tricks in TOO.

Just keep in mind - use frost seeding as a method for enhancing a field. Don’t expect it to be the magical wand to create a clover pasture.

also be cognizant of the clovers you’re using - especially if you have other goals in mind for that field. Many perennial white clovers are cheap but also a sob to ever get rid of - if the goal is to rotate crops at some point.

just food for thought.
Actually I have created a good field of it from frost seeding. Takes a good bit of seed and you need to spray it a couple of times after it comes up to kill the weeds. THe couple of places I did this, tilling wasn't an option so I didn't have a choice. I put about 2x the recommended seed amount.

Reactions: Stressless

Bighoun52

In the woods
The other thing I have noticed with frost seeding is be patient. Some times it looks like a weed patch and you think if failed but then you mow it or spray it and all the clover is there

Reactions: Stressless

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This weekend is the perfect time to revive a lonely or spare perennial stand.

1000007278.jpg

The front half of this field needs some love and it'll get it from the mix above. It barely grew after this pic and what did grow is rye. I'll nuke it with herbicide in April and this frost seeding should throw this field into overdrive by May.

DJI_0340.jpg

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
Garrett, I'll definitely be harrowing the matted leaves up and off the mud and then clearing leaves with a new tool I found.

Neighbor Cliffs plots look like Jesse's in that the edges of the plots may have heavy leaf matter but a large portion in the middle of the plot probably doesn't need it. Oval, square or roundish.

To blow the leaves off my 10 plots totaling 5 acres with a backpack takes a full long day and Ranger Candy (800mg motrin) and Voltaren only go so far with my back issues.

Going to rent this tractor and turbine blower from Holmes Rentals w trailer in a few weeks, plan to do my plots, some of Neighbor Cliffs next door, and Chris's plots in Glenmont. Will update here on how it works/ed. One day rental, pick up Fri afternoon and return Monday AM so plenty of time to figure it out and get it all done.

Wow- that is bonkers! What a sweet setup.

I need to order some chicory but will see if someone rents of these near me. Would love it with the rough cut move attachment as well!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Just me talking here but man - I’d suggest trying to let the leaves be. Clover seed is so small. Y’all will get it to the soil through rain, wind, etc.

Save your time and back. Spend a dot more on extra seed if you’re concerned about predation.

Blowing leaves off is like blowing free fertilizer right off your field. If anything - seed and mulch the leaves for faster breakdown.

my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
Worth. Every. Penny.

Purpose built machine, didn't use on a couple plots that weren't too bad per Albert advice but on ones that were saturated with leaves and they weren't dry and fluffy, it did great! Based on obs from past years I don't think I could have moved that amount of semi wet leaves with a backpack blower. Period. Ground was a bit spongy wet from the rain we got 3 days and then the day before. The 8 wheels on it floated that contraption over the fields and up 20 degree slopes without ruts or issues. Frost seeded and soil samples the next AM.

ezgif.com-resize(1).gif