Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gator Waders - Shield Series Breathable Waders

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When I first got into waterfowling, I was lucky enough to snag a pair of Cabelas SuperMag 1,600 gram wader off a fellow TOOzer for pennies on the dollar. They've served me well over the past 6 seasons, but I'm about done wearing neoprene waders. If you've slugged through a sloppy cut bean/corn field in late-January after setting decoys, you know what I mean! You sweat like a three-peckered billy goat if have to do much physical activity, they'll freeze up on you and it's like trying to move inside a sausage casing. Now that we have a boat and I'm spending 20+ days a year in waders, I'm ready to move on to something more comfortable. Like breathable waders.

Over the weekend, I spent about 4 hours researching waders online. My closest drive to a store with a pair of waterfowling waders in 2 hours, and my options would be limited at that. So driving to try on waders was out of the question, especially for the "final 3" in my search. For Gator Waders, the closest retailer to me is in Illinois, a 940 mile round trip from my slice of Appalachia. But getting one free exchange (minus $20 shipping on the second pair) helps ease the pain.
My final 3 consisted of the Banded Redzone waders, Lacrosse Aero Lite, and the Gator Shield Series. The Banded's had a few too many reviews stating the same issue: leaking at the ankle. The finish of the Lacrosse, without seeing it in person, was not what I was looking for from a comfort/articulation standpoint. Overall, the Gator Shield Series had great reviews, all the features I was looking for, and a convenient exchange policy. I placed my order late Friday night Thanksgiving weekend and they arrived from Tyler, TX yesterday.

Other than needing to send them back for a larger boot (I knew I should have gone a size up, but rolled the dice on a 12 Long) these things are the cat's ass when it comes to waders! Super comfortable from the boots to the straps and I can already tell they are plenty warm. I sent my return request in this morning and had it authorized 30 minutes later. I ordered a second pair and should have both that pair and my refund processed in the next 5 business days. The 14 Longs will allow me enough room to wear a light wool sock while we set up, then had a heavier wool overtop once we settle in for the hunt. The 12s were comfortable, but just a touch too tight to be wearing in weather below 20. The 14s will give me the airflow I need to stay warm.

So shout out to Gator Waders for making a great product and backing it with great service. For those of you looking to upgrade waders, definitely check these out. Our second split opens next weekend, so the field testing will start then! But for now, I am really pleased with this purchase.

Gator Waders - Shield Series Breathable Waders

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
These things are awesome! Very pleased with just about every aspect of these waders so far. I wore thin socks today and my toes got a little cold, but not enough for me to go through the effort of putting my thicker socks on. My core body temp stayed perfect and the built in shell holder turned out to be a nice addition. Overall, no complaint of any kind thus far.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Those look pretty nice! I here ya on the neoprene. We had a job on a island where we had to wear waders everyday. I swore after that job that I would never put a neoprene pair of waders on again unless somebody pulled a gun and forced me too lol. Hot sweaty mother f-ers!