Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting the itch again

Strizzi

Hey everyone,

I haven’t been around here in a few years, I stopped hunting back in 2016 after losing both of the properties I hunted due to the older folks who owned them selling them off and moving down south. I grew up around hunting, my uncle in West Virginia took me out squirrel hunting a few times as a kid and I was always fascinated with it. At 18 I bought my first bow from MC sports were I worked and was hooked on archery. I went on a few hunts over the next couple years but never saw a deer.

Fast forward to the age of 25 my brother in law (sisters husband) invited me to hunt with him during gun season down in killbuck, I got my first deer! A friend of his family did a European mount for me and it still hangs proudly in my living room! The next year I hunted his grandmas property in columbia station with my bow and scored two does over the season with a bow. I Looked up all the articles I could find on butchering a deer and handled it all myself. By far the best steaks I’ve ever tasted knowing that I harvested the meat, butchered it up, and cooked it all by myself(I’ll also give credit to my boss since he gave me the spices). I went down to killbuck for gun but it snowed so heavy I could barely see 15 feet in front of me.

The following year my brother in law and I went goose hunting down in kill buck when we got some bad news, his aunt was selling the property and we wouldn’t be able to come down for gun this year. I thought to myself “Man, this sucks but at least I can still hunt grandma property”. I didn’t take a deer this year, I had a few opportunities but I passed on the does hoping they would make their way to my boss who was up in a tree on the other side of the property. I only had one shot at a buck and I wasn’t super comfortable with the distance he was at so I decided to let him pass.

The following summer his grandma called me and she told me she sold her property in Columbia station to a neighbor who is extremely anti-hunting. Welp, there goes all my fun right? I ended up selling my bow and my slug gun at the end of the year thinking this was the end of it.

This bring us to this year. My future father in law asked me to go on a pheasant hunt with him the day after thanksgiving. Just the thought of hunting again and I’m hooked. My fiancé and I are getting married in June so money’s a bit tight, but I have a few dollars saved up in going to look into getting a new slug gun(and sneak it in while she’s at work) and finding some property to hunt. I have no idea where to begin but I may try some public land.

I’m glad this place is still thriving. Everyone here as always been great I’m hoping to stick around this time. The itch is bad and I think it’s getting infected.

Last edited:

Lucky

Sunbury
Thats awesome....knew it would be a great day, trying to finish job as fast as i can to hunt the last few hrs. Congrats

Strizzi

Thanks everyone! I’ve gone as far as to grow the tradition deer beard knowing I might not even get out this year.

Definitely looking at an 870 with a Nikon prostaff. I previously used a H&R slug master and love it but that thing weight about 85lbs.

Obviously gauge would be 12, but I reading a lot of people are switching to 20 gauge. What’s your thoughts? I have no problem shooting a 12 gauge. I have a 12g Benelli Montefeltro for birds and clays and my previous slug gun was a 12 gauge, but the 20 Would definitely be a little easier to play around with and test different ammo.

Reactions: giles and Dustinb80

Chass

The Hills
Thanks everyone! I’ve gone as far as to grow the tradition deer beard knowing I might not even get out this year.

Definitely looking at an 870 with a Nikon prostaff. I previously used a H&R slug master and love it but that thing weight about 85lbs.

Obviously gauge would be 12, but I reading a lot of people are switching to 20 gauge. What’s your thoughts? I have no problem shooting a 12 gauge. I have a 12g Benelli Montefeltro for birds and clays and my previous slug gun was a 12 gauge, but the 20 Would definitely be a little easier to play around with and test different ammo.
I love my 12 gauge 870. I dont have a scope on the slug barrel. Never shot one with one on and just never felt like I needed it for how I hunt. Smooth bore slug gun shooting Winchester xx 1 oz rifled slugs. I've never tested any other slugs or barrel combinations myself just cause I've always had good results with the tried and true.
I know a lot of guys using the 20 gauge for turkeys, especially those that throw tungsten shot. I'd still bet on the 12 being the more popular option over the 20 for adults.

Lucky

Sunbury
Think people like the 20 for less recoil and less drop on slug at a distance. Never had scope on any of mine either. Had a mossberg rifled and a 870 rifled. Both were plenty accurite out to what i would shoot...brother had a winchester smoth bore that drove tacks. Just whatever you like best. Been a few since ive gun hunted. Usually good by time it rolls around. Hopefully this year follows suite.

Strizzi

Thanks for the info guys. I’m probably stuck with the 12g. I’ve always hunted with a scope, granted the H&R has a piccatiny rail. I was eyeing up the 870 with a
Cantilever barrel but maybe I’ll go with the one with iron sights, hell maybe I’ll shoot some rifled slugs out of my Benelli and skip getting a new gun. Eh probably not I like the idea of a dedicated slug gun and always like bring home a new toy.

Reactions: Lucky

Buckkillr

Athens

I bought a hi-point 45cal just for hunting deer. Scoped it up and that thing is deadly accurate, cheap and fun to shoot.

Friend of mine uses a 20 gauge only and loves them, plenty of knock down power

If I ever bought another shotgun, not likely but it would be a Remington 1187