Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good Weekend Catfishing

Took my youngest daughter and her friend out this weekend to Seneca and had a great weekend catching catfish. Caught 32 on Saturday and 12 on Sunday. Action was hot on Saturday in the morning as we caught 18 in the first 3 hrs. Fished about 7-7.5 hrs each day. Biggest fish was a 15 lb blue that my daughter's friend caught on Sunday. Pretty good size as they just introduced blues there a few years ago. I had some double hook rigs and on Saturday she actually caught 2 on the same line. I even caught a few by accident when reeling in lines as a couple of small one's happened to be on there.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

We were using cut skipjack, bluegill, and strawberry jello chicken. I had double hook rigs on all poles with different baits on each one so not really sure what they were going after more. It was effective though. LOL.

We were dragging baits as in the one pic you can see the planer boards that we had out.
I'm familiar with the drag rigs, use them often and they are a heck of a tool. Down here we call them santee rigs belived to have originated by old timers on the infamous Santee Cooper waterway. I really wish we had skipjack down here but the closest ones to me are in Tennessee and northern Alabama. Bluegill, gizzard shad, and blueback herring are catfishing staples down this way.

I'm familiar with the drag rigs, use them often and they are a heck of a tool. Down here we call them santee rigs belived to have originated by old timers on the infamous Santee Cooper waterway. I really wish we had skipjack down here but the closest ones to me are in Tennessee and northern Alabama. Bluegill, gizzard shad, and blueback herring are catfishing staples down this way.

We don't have many skipjack up here or at least I have not been successful catching them. Better far south from what I have read. A local bait shop carries them. Kinda expensive but they are good bait.

I keep saying I'm gonna to to Tennessee to catch some but so far I have been all talk!

LOL. It would probably be worth it due to the cost of the things. Only thing there is I think you have to really hit the timing right to be able to load up on them. I actually setup a tank at my house as I am going to try and keep some bluegill so I can catch them a little ahead of actually using them. They don't freeze well at all like skipjack does.

LOL. It would probably be worth it due to the cost of the things. Only thing there is I think you have to really hit the timing right to be able to load up on them. I actually setup a tank at my house as I am going to try and keep some bluegill so I can catch them a little ahead of actually using them. They don't freeze well at all like skipjack does.
That's the issue with bluebacks. They are amazing bait but pretty much turn to applesauce after freeze and thaw.