Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help me learn...

taramarietackett

I am new to deer hunting and I want to shed hunt. I cant find any info on when I should begin looking for sheds in southern Ohio... I welcome any comments or suggestions that may help.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to TOO. I'm sure couple of our expert shed hunters will join in and give some good info.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Fence rows especially where they're crossing and creek crossings as well...

Some will start dropping in January.... But season is still in and I'd stay outta of the woods till its out....

Diablo54

Outside
My best advice and I have found a couple 100, is that You will find more sheds if you stay on south facing banks and especially south facing points with honeysuckle. The thicker the better. I have found them crawling on my belly.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
My best advice and I have found a couple 100, is that You will find more sheds if you stay on south facing banks and especially south facing points with honeysuckle. The thicker the better. I have found them crawling on my belly.
^^^^^this! I might also add: AG fields like cut beans, wheat and cut corn. Those are less invasive to bump bedded bucks. I don't start hitting the brush until late Feb. too.
Good luck!

taramarietackett

Welcome to TOO. Not much help with shed hunting, I never seem to find any myself. Lol.

How has your deer season gone so far?
Ive seen several doe but no shooters. Thrown some corn out but didnt do a food plot this year. I had a young 8 on the trail cam, a small 6 and a spike... Maybe they will stick around and grow some.

Gordo

Athens County
If you can find a good food source where you know they are yarded up around, thats a big piece to the puzzle. Start at the food and work your way down the trails leading to their beds