Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Home Energy Savings

Jamie

Ohio
nice. I need to get some LED bulbs for my shop lights. what did they run you? I've got 8 or 9 fixtures lighting my shop, half of my two bulb fixtures have one burned out. I'll be damn glad when all these fluorescent lights are dead and gone.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I have started to look into getting the inside of the external walls filled with foam. We have also wanted to replace all of the windows in the house, but thats a lot of $ right now. Looking into this company, and the wife interviewed with them the other day for a receptionist job.

https://cincinnatiretrofoam.com/

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Giles, I didnt hardwire mine, instead used the screw in adapters that have plugs on each side and the ability to put a bulb in the middle. Then i arranged the fixtures to plug 2 into each socket so I can still use the already installed light switches. I completely excluded these 4 bulbs, so at 45w/, add in another 180w. I will be goong back to lowes as they had screw in LEDs on sale to. Ill might as well save the 45 ones for inside until they burn out.

The 4pack of T8’s was $12.49 lol!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Giles, I didnt hardwire mine, instead used the screw in adapters that have plugs on each side and the ability to put a bulb in the middle. Then i arranged the fixtures to plug 2 into each socket so I can still use the already installed light switches. I completely excluded these 4 bulbs, so at 45w/, add in another 180w. I will be goong back to lowes as they had screw in LEDs on sale to. Ill might as well save the 45 ones for inside until they burn out.

The 4pack of T8’s was $12.49 lol!

I did the same thing with the screw in plug/bulb then hung lights

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
nice. I need to get some LED bulbs for my shop lights. what did they run you? I've got 8 or 9 fixtures lighting my shop, half of my two bulb fixtures have one burned out. I'll be damn glad when all these fluorescent lights are dead and gone.
I had 9 fluorescent fixtures. Replaced with LED. It is brighter. Better light for sure. Less energy consumption. At the time Sam's Club had 2 packs for $60-65 or roughly $35/light with tax. I'm seeing more option pop up so you may find them cheaper now at Lowe's, Menards, or Home Depot places as well.

Jamie

Ohio
after doing some research and price checking, I ordered this to see how well they work, and how many more I might need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077S1S5LY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put all four of them up on Saturday, replacing 7 4' fluorescent T12 two bulb shop lights. amazing how much brighter and better the light is. these are very light weight, easy to put up. I flush mounted directly to the ceiling, which is OSB, with short drywall screws but they came with plastic anchors for mounting in sheetrock and cables for hanging. the best thing about these is they are linkable. no buzzing, no warming up to full power when it's cold, no more bulbs to replace. these are really nice shop lights for the money.

I ordered another 6 pack today. :smile:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I just stopped at Lowe's and they had some boxes of 4pcs. 48" T8 LED in 6500K on sale. I have 8 of the 48" double bulb fluorescent sets running 5000K in the garage and just had one bulb go out the other night. These are 32/ea, the LED's are 14w/ea.

Just installed two on the lamp that had the bad bulb.......oh yeah! I decided to install the other 2 in the end lamp on that row and save the old bulbs for the other lamps. I will definitely be switching over as they go out. I hope the LED's last longer than the normal bulbs and the cold weather start-up/shutdown appears like it won't be an issue anymore.

When we moved in I had standard 100w bulbs in each of the 4 ceiling sockets and the lighting sucked = 400w total
Then installed 8 of the 48" fluorescent lights and lighting was good = 32w/2per = 64w/fixture = 512w total
Once switched over to LED, going to be a surgical room = 14w/2per = 28w/fixture = 224 total

Yep, time to get more of the LED bulbs. It has been 1yr and the original 2sets have worked flawlessly. I have replaced close to 1/3 of the florescents this past year.

Jaime, how are things on your end?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Hung these 2 high bay, 4', 210w, 5000K LEDs the other day., with a 3rd on its way to finish out my surgery room/garage. Not nearly as efficient as the last setup, but much less ceiling clutter and they are dimmable if I install the switch and 0-10v wire. To think its the equivalent usage of 6, 100w light bulbs is mind blowing vs. the output!

20210107_143123.jpg