Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Huge win in Missouri against CWD.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's been a long battle but the Missouri Supreme Court ruled that captive deer and elk are still wildlife and should be governed by the state wildlife agency and not under their department of agriculture.

This is a huge step to help ensure that deer "farms" are brought to bear the same burden on restrictions of transportation that hunters are to help stop the propagation of CWD.

https://themissouritimes.com/52104/missouris-high-court-rules-captive-deer-are-still-wildlife/

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If only Ohio would get their head out of their ass too. I wonder how prominent the deer farms are in Missouri. Do they have the same economic stronghold as in Ohio?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If only Ohio would get their head out of their ass too. I wonder how prominent the deer farms are in Missouri. Do they have the same economic stronghold as in Ohio?

From what I've seen they do. They managed to drag this out for 4 years in the courts. And they unilaterally prefer to be under the department of agriculture and not wildlife. If they were under the DOW they would have lost the ability to transport deer to ohio at the same time hunters lost that same ability.